Old 10-26-2007   #11
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yo, Owen. I forgot, Valley Mill Boats just outside of Washington DC demos Jacksons for free for potential buyers. Ask for monique and tell her I sent you. Great shop, check it at

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #12
You will fit great in a Jefe Grande.
Focused right at your weight and we have several tall boys in our boats here in Asheville. 6'5" with 37" inseams.
Liquid Logic Kayaks

shanebenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #13
Commercial Paleontology
Big Guy Creeker

Hello Simcoeom,

I am 6'3.5" & 215-220lb & just went thru the creeker search. I paddle a SuperFun that I luv. I demoed a Burn, Jefe, Habitat, Mystic, Hercules, Solo, & Nomad. I eventually narrowed the field to the Herc & the Solo. The Jefe & Mystic will be too small for you but the others would all do you well. Just a matter of demoing & finding what you like. I personally was most fond of the Solo & purchased one the other day. I just ran it down the Top Yough back East & it was awesome. It's performance was right on & is going to be a great boat for me. I did paddle with two folks of which one had the new LL Grande...he is only 5'11" but 250lb & he loves it coming from a Jefe that was to small weight wise for him. Also LL has a new boat called the Remix which comes in 4 sizes & the one guy was demoing it. He felt it wasn't too bad..worth taking a look at. Though I luv my Jackson I did not demo the Mega Rocker.. it was just way bigger than I was interested in & I was looking for more of a semi displacement haul.

Good luck in your search...Demo! Demo! Demo!

Oh by the way..Appomattox Outfitters in.. I forget what town in VA has two Lg Solo's & is willing to off one for $750 new..That's a goood deal! Also worth checking out.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #14
Got to give my vote to the Jefe Grande, just picked one up! I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and fit AWESOME in the boat. Paddled the regular Jefe for 2 seasons and loved it, just wished it sat higher in the water and now it does. The outfitting is dope! I like the Jackson Mega, but it takes a lot of manual work to outfit the boat. Plus you've got Willie Kern, Shane and those guys dialing the shape in for you. I sit in front of the TV in my boat at night and my legs don't fall asleep or go numb...super cush.
dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #15
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i love my jefe grande the thing rips
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #16
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
If you can wait to check out the Super Hero...

It sounds like you need a boat soon... but if you can wait, I would check out the Super Hero. It looks like it's going to be a great boat in nearly every aspect. If you are familiar with paddling a planing hull boat, stick with a boat such as a Burn, or Super Hero. It'll take much longer figure out a displacement hull boat such as a Jefe or Mega-Rocker.

Monique at Valley Mill is amazing. She'll take care of you.

Mike Konschnik

Rocky Mountain Adventures
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Just to quell the Liquid Logic and Jackson worship........I recommend a look at the Dragorossi Critical Mass ( Dragorossi: Elite Whitewater Kayaks and Surfboards <-- Link to Boat). Many are intimidated by the size (biggest new boat out in a loooong time) and some by the price (a new one with all the best outfitting is $1400 shipped to your door....other models with significantly less can be had for as little as $750 brand new though).

Essentially its designed to be super stable, very maneuverable, large cargo capacity, creek boat. In the past I have paddled many different creekers, and this is my favorite yet. This thing totally takes care of me the whole time. The size takes a bit to get used to, but after a couple rapids you'll realize it paddles similarly to every other modern creeker out there (the aggressive rocker makes this possible).

As a big tall guy this boat seems pretty ideal for you too. This is a predominantly Liquid Logic and Jackson saturated state (with a bit of Pyranha and Riot mixed in) but there certainly are other choices out there. Let me know if you want to come check it out. I don't work for Drago or anything, but I do know its hard to find them to try out so let me know. I have a Fish, Thruster and Stinger too if anyone wants to try those out (a bit of a Drago fan aye? ).

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #18
I just spent four days in a Remix 79 and loved it. Super comfy with the new "BadAss" outfit system. I would creek in it but would be it would be awesome for patrolling in. super fast. Front surfs well. I am not of your stature but I was on the 2nd closest hole at 5'10 and with me and all the gear I had in it I was probably pushing 220 and it would still ride high. It is not a pure creek boat, it is a bit long for the really tight stuff, but I would not hesitate to paddle it anywhere out here. Super stable.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote