Old 03-23-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Creek Company Boats?

Does anyone have any experience with Creek Company pontoon boats? Anything I should be worried about? Looking at their ODC XR12 (2-man pontoon) for floating/fly fishing Jurassic Park (lower Blue) and day trips on water around Colorado (mostly II-III).

ColMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #2
I haven’t used that particular boat but am pretty familiar with fishing pontoons. Looks like it could be a good value for the money but generally with these you are getting what you pay for. Here’s what I noticed looking at it online.

For $1000 it’s maybe the cheapest two man toon out there. High quality one man’s go for more than that. For example, the same boat from Aire is twice as much. It is pretty amazing it has an aluminum frame for that so that is good. Can’t tell if the frame is powder coated or not, usually they should be. Big difference is going to be in the materials. 420 denier pontoons are pretty lightweight (Outcast uses 900-1200) and the bladders are PVC instead of urethane. Shorter life. The high priced boats from Scadden use bladderless toons like a raft. Also, boston valves are something you might see on an inflatable tow toy or something, not generally a high quality water-craft.

I also didn’t see good warranty info. The higher priced boats will have, say like Aire, 10 year no fault warranties. Even if it’s your fault, they’ll fix it. So it will get you on the water but probably not much of a long term investment. I also wouldn’t run much over class II with it. Low water Ark, Fork, and Pumphouse are probably ok. Something else to think about is transport. Pontoons are a lot of metal and strappage to deal with, if you are going to use it a lot you will definitely want some kind of small trailer to avoid all the headaches of rigging every time. Plus all the other gear you will need. It’s nice it has a cargo platform and motor mount too.

Just some thoughts….good luck.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Osprey - Thanks for your thoughts. Good insight. I'd be happy if I could get 2-3 years out of it, then get a nice raft. I am planning to give them a call to understand how well it will do in class III as that could be a dealbreaker. Rigging/derigging each time will probably be a royal pain, but we don't have a place to store a trailer right now.
Old 03-24-2011   #4
f you watch the swap here, NRS, and craigslist I bet if you are patient and ready when it comes you could find a good used raft and with a couple add ons have something that will work long term for not a whole lot more. Raft to me is actually easier to setup and transport with a basic frame, problem comes in with the fishing seats. I have a Scadden along with my raft and it’s probably more of a pain to setup. I leave it up though and just roof rack it. Especially if you are going to do stillwater too, then the Creek might be better to take a motor but if you wire it all up for a depth finder, battery, etc., it gets more tricky.

Class III is kind of giant catch all range. For fishable flows around here you are probably fine, just don’t run stuff when it’s big during runoff. It looks like a decent boat, especially at the sale price. Probably a good value, just those couple corners they cut I mentioned. Biggest issue you are going to have is setup/ takedown and hauling all that metal around and storage. If you are going to run it as a one-man toon, I bet you could run some pretty good sized stuff, it’s the two man configuration that I’m not sure about. Accessories kill you too. Rod holders, dry bags, you are going to want some kind of electric pump, spare oar, I would carry a throw bag, pfd’s, anchor, oar rights, fins, etc. all add up really fast. Enjoy the new toy!
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #5
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Creek Company 2 man

I have had the opportunity to ride in and row a CC 2 man rig in the past. Here are my insights:

-The boat is really light and easy to carry around both to the water and in the car. They roll up pretty well and the frame breaks down but it is time consuming to take them apart. Best bet it to keep the frame put together to haul it around unless you don't have the room. My two buddies that have them keep the frame assembled for the summer season.

-On the water the boat is pretty light too which means it gets blown around by the wind pretty good. We got stuck on Swallow Canyon once when the wind picked up and we could not get the boat to go downstream.

-The rowing seat on the boat is pretty low to the water when you have two people on the boat with any gear. Prepare to get really wet if you row any whitewater.

-The fishing platform is pretty nice but there are a lot joints and such to catch fly lines on.

-I have rowed one down the upper C from Catamount to Burns before and it did fine. It was a very wet ride through the one big drop but it handled the water. I don't know if you consider that a Class III or not.

Dan Brabec
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for the insight. Ended up pulling the trigger on the boat + some accessories. Psyched to get her out on Colorado late next week.