Old 03-20-2010   #11
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the offer, but I live in Salt Lake, so that would be a long drive. I think I am either going for the Burn, or the Jefe Grande. They seem like the toughest boats out there. With the Burn, do you ever wish you had a displacement hull?

b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #12
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
My issue with the Burn is the vertical side of the bow. I didn't like the way the bow would be deflected, especially in an upstream ferry. I like the way the diesel bow achieves volume horizontally and the looseness of the planing hull. I just got a new diesel last fall and haven't done too much with it but really like it. You may want to try the way the new one fits.

My full on creeker, the DR Mafia, has the same sort of bow profile and that style bow is much more controllable. The Mafia cockpit size may be an issue with a larger person but dr has another boat with the same hull if you can find one to try.

Displacement hulls seem to track better if that is what you are looking for. I find I need to really reprogram my boating style for the displacement hull even tho my mafia is very loose for a displacement hull. You need to turn it if you want to turn it, not just count on the flick of an edge you don't have. Not as easy a transition from a play or other planning hull and I paddle slalom boats a lot in the winter.

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #13
There isn't a bow designed more forgiving than the Jefe Grande in my opinion. The bigger volume also keeps you higher in the water and allows for you to stomp over those nasty holes. I haven't had an issue rolling it.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #14
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Well the only real reason I don't wish I had a displacement hull is the fact I learned on Planning hulls...I'm sure if I learned on DHs I would prefer those.

I did like the Jefe...not paddled the Grande but I'm sure it handles the same. It punched hole fine, boofed, rolled etc fine. I just feel and its been said that once you get started in the direction you want to go, the burn will get you there. I feel like I had to work a bit more on ferrying etc in the Jefe.

I've never had an issue with the "vertical" side which isn't vertical...However, I've never really "T-pinned" on a rock yet
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
You should try out Fluid Kayak's Solo. It's a great kayak that creeks like a champ, self-supports with plenty of room to store gear, and is bomber.

Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote