Old 02-18-2006   #1
dropzone, Colorado
crazy 88 6.3 river capabilities?

I have looked around for good reviews of the dagger crazy 88 6.3 on a few sites and haven't come up with much. If there are any larger paddlers out there paddling the bigger version, the 6.3, that could give me some feedback on how the boat performs downriver, that would be great.

I guess I am somewhat concerned by Dagger's volume estimate for the boat, at only 48 gallons. This is about ten gallons less than most playboats designed for someone my size (~195). I like to have the option of running harder stuff like lower clear creek at high water and gore at low/medium flows in the playboat. Any word on how this boat would handle those kinds of runs? Thanks!

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #2
I don't know how much this helps, but I paddled a 88 6.3 a few times at Golden @ 350-400 cfs and it was alot of fun I was trying its river abaility more than it's play and I tip the scale at 220ish. I sat alittle low in the water but the water line was above the surface and it wasn't to trippy in the eddys. And alot more stable than my Super Ego is.

Most shops will tell you that Dagger is on the conservitive side on it's gal/weight ranges.

I ended up getting a Kingpin for a little more volume.

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #3
pnw, Washington
I have paddled the 88 and the kingpin and I would say that the kingpin is a much better river runner.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #4
Yeah i aggree with the psot above, the 88 is much more of a park and play boat that a downriver playboat. However, if you aren't too heavy, i might work out well. I just thought it was too short and pearled too easily.
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #5
dropzone, Colorado
thanks for the replies. what do you guys think about the 6.3 compared to a wavesport ZG if you have paddled both? I have heard the the zg54 also has some pearling issues when paddling downriver.

I am fine with a boat that requires me to be on my toes. I was happy in my S6 in gore, except for the comfort issues. The reason I ask about these two boats specifically is that I might have a line on a good deal. So I am ok putting up with a little diving/squirting from the boat, but I want it to be reasonable.

p.s. Eric - I am hoping to make a long weekend trip down your way sometime this spring, working on getting back to 100% right now.

Old 02-18-2006   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Alex looking for a playboat? Hell has officially frozen over.

I can't comment on the Crazy 88, but I would agree that the ZG54 is not the boat you are looking for if you want to run class V in your playboat. I really like mine as a playboat but it is the worst river runner I have ever owned. It is much less forgiving that either my foreplay or chronic. If you miss your line even by a tiny bit, you will know it. Also, its really retentive in a hole. Sometimes it wants to stay and play even if you don't. Great playboat but probably not what you are looking for. Good luck finding something that suits you.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #7
Paddling Since: 1993
My personal opinion is that all aggressive modern (last two years) play boats are poor river runners and the closer you get to the most recent design the worse off the river running capabilities get. My question is, does your park and play boat have to be your river running play boat or do you have the ability to have a river runner/ play boat and a pure play boat? Also what king of play boating do you do and what is your skill level? I am not trying to say anything negative so please don't take offense as I have no idea what kind of a paddler you are, but I see a lot of people paddling the most recent design not because they need it but simply because its new and more importantly cool. When in reality many boaters would benefit from paddling an older design that is geared towards what they are trying to accomplish. For example I have seen people who are still trying to master cartwheels and general hole riding skills paddling the crazy 88 when a kingpin would be better suited for the tricks they are trying. The Crazy 88 is a great boat for surfing and aerial maneuvers, now don't get me wrong it is playful in a hole but just not as well suited for hole riding as some previous models produced by Dagger. To get back to the point, do you intend to do what the Crazy 88 is intended for or might you be better suited with a different design?

P.S. My personal favorite older play boat for river running is the Pyranha S6 200, the S6F is a little more playful but a little worse runner.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #8
dropzone, Colorado
good thoughts mrekid. I have sort of come to the same conclusion myself about getting a design that can do it all. Basically I want a boat that I can paddle when I am not creeking in my gus. I rarely go to a park and play spot, and just like to have a boat I can wavewheel and surf occasionally. I actually had an s:6 200 before and liked the boat for most river running, including some harder stuff. I just got tired of having my feet fall asleep too quickly in that boat, and now I want something similar but more comfortable. I am looking into pyranha's newer boats, the seven-o and the 4-twenty because they seem to have the right amount of volume and the ability to do it all. The kingpin would probably work too if I can find a new one w/o the pods and the holes in the bottom of the hull. I think that two plastic kayaks is my limit right now, if I get a third it would be glass...

Now that this thread is back to the top again, can anyone comment on the fit/comfort of the pyranha seven-o? Seems like a cool boat that could play pretty well and would be relatively fast for river running. thanks for the input.
Old 03-06-2006   #9
Paddling Since: 1993
The 7-0 is a good boat particularly if you like to surf. It is not a great boat in a hole if you want anything other then effortless cartwheels. The design is very fast and it is unbelievable on a good surf wave such as South Canyon. It runs rivers well for a modern playboat, better than the kingpin/crazy 88, or wavesport zg. those designs are more playful in holes but I don't think they can touch the speed of the 7-0. The other thing the 7-0 has going for it is the outfitting, this boat comes in under 30 pounds ands it is due to their no B.S. approach to outfitting. The down side to these boats is limited rocker. In steep waves the bow has a tendency to pearl, and again their lack of ability when it comes to playing in the clear creek whitewater park (unless you love cartwheels). You may also be interested in looking at the the modern riot disco, very good river runner & the pyranha S6F I was amazed at how this boat responded once I got it figured out.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote