Old 02-01-2011   #11
Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
I have to agree with Mogur. I tried them once, got rid of them the next day. Buck Up!! and it's a good rule to always have tethers. Even on your GoPro!

"Each mile on a river will take you further from home than a hundred miles on a road"
Bob Marshall
catboatkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #12
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by catboatkeith View Post
... it's a good rule to always have tethers.
Just keep them short!
Oar tethers - advice, do or don't? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #13
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I switched to them for 11" oars. Make it less work to get the oars out of the drink but you can notice the inertia of the mass
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #14
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
The real problem is getting Carlisle oars. They're garbage. Get some Cataract Shafts with Sawyer Wood Blades. Boom bam done.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #15
Lakewood, Colorado
Have you considered wood? You can have a naturally counter balanced shaft because of the taper. Wood floats, so you don't have to worry about loose oars post holing in the river bed as much. There are some new "square top" designs available this year with extra wood around the handle for added counter balance.
woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #16
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by studytime View Post
The real problem is getting Carlisle oars. They're garbage. Get some Cataract Shafts with Sawyer Wood Blades. Boom bam done.
So we have the OP using Cataracts, someone else said Sawyer shafts - carlisle oar extenders were talked about being used - but WTF are you talking about?

I am sure there is a thread about pins and clips vs oar locks or one on hypalon vs pvc or something if you want to jump in on one of those pointless arguments.

This pointless argument is about the fact that some like counter balancing and some don't.

Do you have something to add or you just want to be pointless?

I use carlisle and yes there are somethings I don't like about them. But I have never seen them explode like I have a Cataract shaft. Three times I have seen cat shafts explode like shrapnel, but hey it's all good. I am sure you will love them until you don't. Don't worry only one guy started to rap, flipped and swam a half mile because of his failed oar - the others were ok.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #17
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Have you seen the cataract H20 option? Interchangeable oar handles. Comes with 5lb counterweighted handles and non-weighted handles that are exchanged out with three screws. I think I am going to pick some up this season. My wife wants counter weights I don't like em!
gh42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #18
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I had a set. I liked them on my driftboat ok, but not on any raft. They swing slow and are more work. They did what they were supposed to do when I loaned them out- they sank in a flip. I won't ever get them again. See if you can borrow some to try out on your boat. IMO if you are seeking counterbalances you are either a pussy or running oars that are way too long for your setup, and since we know you're not a pussy... If you listen to the oar length recommendations from the armchair experts on this forum you will end up with oars that are 1 foot longer than they should be.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #19
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Another often over looked option is to lighten the blade. You have roughly 2/3rds outboard so shaving just a pound or two is noticeable. I switched to Dynalites a couple of seasons ago, way lighter than Magnums and they float.
can'tdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #20
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
If you get the oars counterweighted from the factory, I believe it is only about 16oz in the handle. I also believe they will still float, but the handle might point down. I have yet to test mine but I do run tethers. I almost wish the counterweight was heavier but I guess it is a compromise between having some counterweight, still float, not bang your shins with it and not affect your stroke.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote