Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 01-03-2012   #1

Park City, Utah
Coolers.....made in USA...

I've pretty much had it with my Igloo and am planning on going top drawer with a Yeti, Engel or Canyon cooler. Figured with that much $$ in a cooler they would be made in the old USA, but maybe not so. Engel replied to email that they are made in Thailand, and Yeti in Philippines, Iowa, and Illinois (not sure what that tells me) and assuming Canyon in east Asia as well.

I guess Yeti wins.

Old 01-03-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The tundra line is Philippines. I think their older lines like Sherpa may be US. But you can always call for clarification.

This would imply the priciest coolers that they sell probably cost the least amount to make. That would at least make the most sense - this is America afterall - and the owners need to maintain their palatial estates

Youd think spending $400 on a yeti cooler that they could at least afford to send me a replacement rivet -- which holds the rope handle and fell out after our first use of the cooler

Old 01-03-2012   #3

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Not sure but I just saw that NRS is rolling out some nifty new "commercial grade" coolers for 2012. I'd be interested in knowing more about those- where they are made and if they're any good.
Old 01-03-2012   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Send a message via Skype™ to mania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendi View Post
Not sure but I just saw that NRS is rolling out some nifty new "commercial grade" coolers for 2012. I'd be interested in knowing more about those- where they are made and if they're any good.
I have seen product images and description and they look good. Prices are slightly higher than Engel. I am not supposed to post images here so I won't do that. not sure where they are made.

personally I can't bring myself to spend 3 or 400 on a cooler no matter how good it is. I just got a rubbermaid Gott 102 qt for $100 retail shipped to my door (they also make a 150qt). it is somewhere in between the quality of an igloo marine and engel but does have metal hinges.

Marine Coolers | Marine Ice Chests | Rubbermaid

be sure to choose the Gott model they are better.

okay I am never speaking of coolers again.
Old 01-03-2012   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I love my Engel. Great companies produce superior products regardless of where their factories are located. Happy shopping!
Old 01-03-2012   #6

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The tundra line is Philippines. I think their older lines like Sherpa may be US. But you can always call for clarification.

This would imply the priciest coolers that they sell probably cost the least amount to make. That would at least make the most sense - this is America afterall - and the owners need to maintain their palatial estates

Youd think spending $400 on a yeti cooler that they could at least afford to send me a replacement rivet -- which holds the rope handle and fell out after our first use of the cooler
That'll teach you to not keep all the limbs on a kayaker, they're heavy enough cause they're full of ____. Those rivets weren't designed for that much dead weight.
Old 01-03-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
okay I am never speaking of coolers again.
You are now one of the great unwashed, rafting cooler-trash.
Old 07-07-2012   #8

Park City, Utah
I ended up buying an Engel on sale...got a sweet deal. Used it for the first time on a five day float trip with days into the 90's. Started with one ice block, two frozen gallon jugs of water and the food and beer. Finished the last day with 1/4 ice block left, cold water for lemonade and the beer nicely chilled. What a cooler!!! Nothing like my old Igloo that was ice free within 36 hours. This Engel cooler was worth every penny.
Old 07-07-2012   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Go with the Yetti. I wont rant about my experience with Engel but they did have a complete and total lack of customer service when their product failed. When you spend $450 on a cooler and a manufacturer part fails you should get exceptional service not the run around.

Anyone but Engel...
Old 07-07-2012   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy View Post
Go with the Yetti. I wont rant about my experience with Engel but they did have a complete and total lack of customer service when their product failed. When you spend $450 on a cooler and a manufacturer part fails you should get exceptional service not the run around.

Anyone but Engel...
Sorry to hear that. My dealings with Engel customer service were nothing but first rate.