Old 02-23-2010   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

I'm in the process of buying a new cooler as much as I would like a Yeti I can't afford it this year. I've been looking at the igloo marine coolers and the coleman marine. Does anyone know the difference between the marine style and the standard? Need something less than 39' wide and would like around 100 qt. Any info and/or inputs would be awesome.

Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
There have been a million discussions on this over the last year or so along with various tests done by Buzzards with too much time on their hands. If you do a search I'm sure you can find them, but I'll sum up my take on it since I'm also in the market for a cooler and I've read all the threads.

Yes, the really expensive ones might work a little bit better, but not enough for the money. The most important thing is cooler management (keep the lid closed, cover with wet burlap, etc.).

I think I've decided to go with this one:

102 Qt Gottâ„¢ Marine Cooler | Ice Chest | Rubbermaid

It's a better price and a buddy of mine used it on an 8 day Deso trip in July and we still had cocktail ice on the last morning.

I also really like the freezable dividers. My .02

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Best thing would be is to do a search on the forum. There are very good discussions about it. I did the same comparison and decided to go with Galaxy cooler, cheaper than Yeti and it's bullet proof.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #4
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I've got an 85 qt coleman extereme marine (whatever that is). Works ok enough and is thicker than the 100qt coleman marine (which I also have). My beef with both are the lack of secure tight latches and the lack of a decent seal. The've both held up ok, no major warpage, but I'm not sitting or standing on them for any length of time. Both have kept ice for 6-7 days after being loaded with dry ice, regular ice, everything frozen yada-yada, cooler-nazi regime. Would rather have an ice chest that didn't keep me awake at night worrying about how long the ice was going to last and what was going to spoil/get warm - AND NOW I DO! So if your in western NV drop me a pm and I'll make you a deal on some great colemans!
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #5
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I second the Rubbermaid suggestion, I have a slightly larger version - the ice dividers are great for both keeping cold and organizing. Mine also has ice packs that screw into the lid for extra cooling.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Wow, there has been a lot of discussions about coolers, thanks a lot for the info.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #7
Cooler debate is a perrenial favorite

Don't forget to check out some of the older models that were hot shit even just a couple years ago. Relatively cheap now that some of the newer models have skyrocketing prices. Most will get the job done if treated right, depends how much cushion you want.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #8
Jenks, Oklahoma

I agree, proper cooler management is the key to keeping ice for the entire trip.

One thing I do is glue on extra closed cell foam to the top of the cooler. On the inside I also add a piece of thinner closed cell foam cut to fit the inside. Keep this inside foam pushed down on top of the melting ice and food.

This works with any cooler.

I have used the rubbermaid, colemans and the high dollar units. The hi dollar units seem to be a lot better made altho some of the coleman marine ultra extreme look pretty good.

The only time the Galaxy type cooler makes sense for most of us as far as cost for cooling, is when you are on a long trip. Was on a 18 day GC trip last october and we had ice until the last couple days using Galaxy coolers. That made me a believer.

anyway, I have the older icee kool 120 qt cooler and it is very nice to have ice last till the last day of a 7 day trip and not have to worry about it. It has been in service for a while now and I doubt if I will wear it out any time soon.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #9
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I like the rope handles especially. Our medium size cooler doesn't have them, and the rigid plastic handles are more of a pain.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote