Old 03-04-2010   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Cooler as a dry box?

So I'm just getting a boat together with River Malt and I'm wondering if anyone ever uses a big 172 qt cooler in lieu of a drybox? The main reason would be that the cooler is substantially cheaper than a drybox.

Any thoughts on this? Pros/Cons

Rapid Resolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #2
medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I was going to do the same thing until I found a drybox on craigslist. I dont see any negatives to doing so other than minimal lost space.

Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #3
a rafter buddy tried that one time. i remember him saying somphin like, 'long as you don't need the stuff you put in it to stay dry, or you only run rapids that don't splash over the cooler it works just fine'. every time a splash comes over the cooler, some of the water seeps in cause theres no seal on the lid. to keep stuff dry you need to put some kind of gasket all round the lid so it seals the water out. even then it may leak pretty bad in a flip cause of play in the hinges or snap-down latches working against the weight of the gear against the lid with the cooler like an upside down bucket floating above it.

some of the hi end coolers have gaskets and bomber latches and hinges that will keep water out but they cost what youd pay for a drybox anyway.
I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #4
medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Some silicone sealant and a couple cam straps could be a fix. I was looking into getting set up cheap and we all know how the "little things" add up.
Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #5
el paso, Texas
Paddling Since: 1979
I got an aluminum foot locker at an army surplus store. It has multiple latches and a seal for the lid. Haven't tried it on the river yet. I had to put another cross bar on the frame and a couple of 6 foot loop straps to hold it up off the floor. Not the most convenient set up, but it was $40 instead of $300 and my raft is only 33 inches between the tubes.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I found my Yeti cooler for 245 on sale at DRE about three months ago. With as bomber as the seal and the latches are, i tried the old bathtub test and it held every ounce of water I put in it. So, a Yeti 85qt could be a sick kitchen box for $200 less than a nice aluminum one....
Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #7
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I do it all the time. It hasn't been a problem for me and it is much cheaper. I do wrap both my cooler and cooler acting as a dry box with a tarp if it is going to be class 4+. If the class is 3-, no need to wrap up in a tarp, 90% of the time I never get water in. The other good thing about a cooler as a dry box is...a dry box rubbing on the raft will wear out the raft and its material much faster than the cooler rubbing against the rubber..But that is the same with a frame rubbing too and that is a small plus for a cooler as a dry box. I think if I could afford a top quality dry box, I would go for it. In the mean time my old cooler is working well as a dry box.
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think that if you make some sort of cover over the cooler that will go down over the hinge point/lid about 6 inches it could be even drier. This could stop some of the splash water from getting in. Never tried though, and it seems like this may fail if the boat goes over.
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #9
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2005
You can get some military surplus 20mm ammo cans that work sweet for dry storage. Made to be water tight and super cheap.
logan.madlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #10
Ottawa, Ontario
Barrels are cheap here in Canada, much more so than dryboxes. Dunno if they're avail where u are - 30L are $45 and 60L are $60. Pretty monstrous. We get em @ M E C . C A, FYI

politbureau is offline   Reply With Quote