Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 09-24-2009   #1

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
cleaning a hypalon boat

Just getting ready to put the new (to me) boat away for the season. The boat is a NRS E160. It has marks where the previous owner's frame sat on the boat. Are there any products or techniques to safely clean off the marks without damaging the hypalon or should I just put on some 303 and tuck her in for the winter? Thanks!
Also, do people put clearcoats on their aluminum frames to keep this from happening or is this just part of the character of a boat?

Old 09-25-2009   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I might be a little too anal with cleaning my boat. I don't use any detergents of any kind. I use woolite to clean, and 303 to protect. I give it a good slathering of 303 before putting it away. I've heard of people using soft scrub to take off the frame marks. I personally wouldn't do it.

Kyle

Old 09-25-2009   #3

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I use the inflatable boat cleaner (sold at most gear shops) and then I 303 it. The boat cleaner removed all frame marks and the little bit of white UV damage, and the 303 has all winter to soak in and prevent further uv damage.

p.s. I'm usually crying...then I break out the skis and wax and sharpen to boost my spirits.
Old 09-25-2009   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 99
Toluene or Methyl Ethyl Ketone, perhaps? Some sort of water soluable solvent like that. Both of those evaporate really fast (and may even help the adherance of D-rings and other glued items if it sits out for a bit. Then definetly the 303 and a nice, tidy roll job. I'm not positive it will work, but those are the two go-to solvents in the PVC and Hypalon world. Don't scrub through to the white threads and you should be golden.
Old 09-25-2009   #5

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
acetone works as good as toluene and is way less toxic. that's what i used to clean up a used boat i bought a couple of years ago. takes a bit of elbow grease, but eventually the frame and water marks will come off. after that, 303 it good, roll it up, and store it for the winter.
Old 09-25-2009   #6

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
<P>
Quote:
</P>
<P>acetone works as good as toluene and is way less toxic</P>
<P>
</P>
<P>I would not want&nbsp;to compare the toxidity of either (or any) solvent by mere experimentation. Inhalation or skin contact&nbsp;with either (and all&nbsp;aromatic solvents for that matter) over the long term bring on serious health concerns.&nbsp;The short term effects of these volatile solvents,&nbsp;if not handled and stored carefully is fire...the kind that can cause great bodily harm to you and others.&nbsp;Just wash your boat like you do your car...soap and water. </P>