Old 01-02-2012   #1
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 83
Classic Campways Navajo Question.

Hello and happy 2012. Have a question regarding boat repair. I have a 1981 Campways Navajo. It is in excellent shape except the seams are starting to show some wear. They are not ripping but they are worn to the fabric in a few places. I was wondering if I can just by some new seam material and glue it over the old seams. I live in Southern Arizona and dont know of any good repair places close by. Trying to same some money and do it myself but I dont want to mess up my boat. This beast has some history. Thanks for the help.

cscomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
T up
summit co / Tucson az, were im at
Paddling Since: 00
Nice to see another tucson boater!!! were few and far between here in the ol pueblo.
Try strip patching with pvc , layer the glue and pray. You could also try bear adhesive.. they sell it at the hut for back pack fixes. Ive used that on the corner of paco pads.
Good luck.

t up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #3
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by t up View Post
Try strip patching with pvc , layer the glue and pray. You could also try bear adhesive
Old Campways boats are not PVC. You should use Hypalon and some kind of contact cement. Shore Adhesive at
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #4
Tucson, Arizona
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Old Campways boats are not PVC. You should use Hypalon and some kind of contact cement. Shore Adhesive at
Thanks. I have had good success patching the floor and once on a tube with Hypalon. Just want to make sure not to screw up the seams with an adhesive. Wonder if they make long rolls of hypalon to patch over the entire seam. I'll have to call AAA inflatables. Love this ol' boat. Been down the Grand, Deso, Yampa, Green, Westwater, MFS. I've affectionately named it The SweatHog. Here's to all you bucket boaters. Row hard and bail fast.
Old 01-03-2012   #5
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You said that the seams were "worn to the fabric." All I can picture here is that you meen the seam tape is worn. If that is the case then I would not worry to much as the seam tape is just a protective layer for the true seam anyway. If you want, you could get new seam tape from NRS here: NRS Pennel OrcaŽ Exterior Seam Tape 2.5" x 60" at
(I think that the Pennel Orca material is equivelent to hypalon)

or you could paint a little urethane on it. You can get urethane here: Urethane Coating for Hypalon Boats & Material - Man of Rubber, Inc.

If the main tube material is worn to fabric than you have a biger problem, but if it is just the seam tape then relax, it is doing its job.

I have an old Navajo too, but I don't use it anymore. Those are tough, heavy old boats.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #6
Tucson, Arizona
Thanks Mike. Good Info. I think it is just the seam tape. It is the material about 2 inches thick over the areas of the seam. I am hoping the tape has some fabric in it because there are some threads starting to show. Thanks for the links.

Break out that Navajo. Ive see a few of them out there lately. Saw two on Deso last April.
Old 01-03-2012   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
That Navajo is a great boat. Campways were almost the only alternative to Avon for good quality "back in the day." I suspect that the hypalon layer on your seam tape is all that is worn down, and the underlying seams are OK. It is hypalon, so go with something compatible, not PVC. I might mention that I've found TearAid to be an unbelievably good product, and am wondering if strips of that would work? I used some TearAid on a ducky puncture a few years ago and it is still holding strong. I also put it over the labels in my PFD's to keep them from losing their ink or tearing before the jacket itself is actually worn out. (I've been on at least one river where the rule is/was that if the label cannot be read or is torn up, the jacket is no good). If you can find a boat repair shop, and if the boat is otherwise worth the investment, letting a pro do it makes sense. Otherwise, follow glue instructions "to the letter" and use a heat gun to cure it up, etc. Seam tape can be time-consuming to put on. That's why the TearAid approach (it just self-glues) has some appeal. Remember there are two kinds of TearAid, Type A and Type B. Don't recall which is which but one is for hypalon, neoprene, rubber, etc. and the other is for PVC, urethene, etc. Get the right one if you try it. Would be interested to know how it works out. Buena suerte.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote