Old 09-16-2009   #11
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #12
Denver,, exhaustion
BUY LOCAL. That's where you go for questions about your local runs and all other beta respect that that are there for you.
Also most local shops have an end of season sale where most things are 15%-20% off... not to mention most local shops that i frequent, be they kayak, bicycle, flyfishing, motorcycle, skiing (ok so it's the same as my kayaking shop) or whatever... once they recognize you as a regular you can find that you regularly receive a slight discount (they appreciate your support too)

adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #13
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 99
"They took our jobs!"

Jneuger, as someone who can sympathize with isolation, I have had the best luck with Outdoorplay since they have good shipping deals and no sales tax. Although, all of these sites seem to be competitive so it is probably best to surf around a bit. You could also call some shop somewhere and have them ship it if that would help you sleep better at night. Is it just me, or do certain posts on this thread make you think certain people need to get in their boats more to prevent such knee-jerk reactions...
mafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #14
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
sugestions on the least expensive online store

Originally Posted by overlyworked View Post
BUY LOCAL!!!!!!!
I agree that you should buy locally whenever possible. For every dollar spent locally $0.45 stays in your community verses just $0.14 at a big box retailer.

The thread was for the least expensive ONLINE STORE. You can't always by local due to geography, such as the person in Vegas or someone out in the sticks. The availability of goods is also a factor sometimes your local vendor does not have what you need. Consumerism such as life is a balance and neither are perfect.

By the way I live in SLC so Backcountry is local for me.
DogTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #15
I think everyone gets it to buy local, but some of us don't live in whitewater paradise like alot of you guys where there is whitewater going every day of the month during the summer and there is a whitewater shop within a 2 hour drive. I would love to beable to just pick up my product of choice down the street or even a 30 minute drive away, but it just is not there.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #16
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Hoover Dam Kayaks seems to be selling used PFDs. Might be worth giving them a call.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #17
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
i believe there is an rei in vegas (not that rei is local to vegas per se but really what is the definition of local? Is it where the sales tax revenue goes, paycheck, etc?)

remember cheap is not always the best. you do get what you pay for.
checkout cascade, nrs, fourcorners, riverconnection, lots of online stuff can be found a google search away.

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote