Old 03-17-2011   #1
north little rock, Arkansas
"Cheap" Shipping?

I'm trying to buy a motor mount from a gentleman in Washington. He was kind enough to check on shipping rates and either of the big two would cost as much as or more than the motor mount ($83 and $53). I think the sticking point is the odd dimensions, 49"x19"x72". Any thoughts on alternative methods for getting it to Arkansas without unduly inconveniencing the seller?

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #2
Golden, Colorado
The cheapest alternative I've heard of for shipping huge packages around the U.S. is Greyhound bus... but that would be a chore for the shipper because they have to find a Greyhound station.... and even Greyhound starts charging more when the package is that long and wide.

I think that $53 is about as good as you are going to get for something of those dimensions. I have dealt with shipping surfboards around and they are about the same length and less than half the width and I have paid $50-$100.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #3
pnw, Washington
You happen to notice the price of gas and diesel lately? Take the $53 option and think happy thoughts.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #4
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
the shipping rates are devised by the size of the package and the weight. They have a weight/ volume ratio in which they say yor box should hold up to x amount of pounds and that is what you pay for as opposed to the weight of the package. as gh said go for the $53.00 option and wait a little longer. Also if you get the pacage and the carton is damaged inspect the contents right away to see if it is damaged and if it is refuse it and notify the guy your buyin it from so he can make a claim and send out a new one, otherwise you will wait weeks to get a replacement
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #5
north little rock, Arkansas
Sounds like I'll be ahead if I just make my own. Thanks for the input everyone.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote