Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-16-2011   #11
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
this sucks. but, i think the chaco rubber was starting to destroy my feet anyway.

so, what's the alternative?

BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #12
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have a pair of Keen H2 with nylon straps

Great toe protection, poor traction.

Cannot find a made in label, but would bet China is where they come from.

Seem to be expensive for what they are but so far my pair has held up well after a year or so of use.

I have a pair of Chaco's original issue that did not wear out after many years of use, just got a bit tight on my feet. Got another size larger pair on sale at CKS BV a few years back. Bomber build and I like the way my feet dry out after boating. Toe protection is low for rafting use in my opinion. Sad to see Chaco's go overseas.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #13
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Unfortunate, but true. It is cheaper to pay some overseas person to put together Chacos for sale in the USA than someone in Colorado. And, as long as the USA public will continue to buy Chaco's the brand will make money.

Some decades ago, the politicians and big industry got together and decided it was cheaper to make goods overseas than in the USA. Combine the various federal, state and local laws plus onerous union wage and seniority rules and it was easy for the accounting management types to justify moving manufacturing overseas.

Made sense from a purely accounting look. Cheap oil made for cheap massive container ships to transport goods from where ever it was cheapest to make them. Quality might suffer but it was good enough to get by.

At this point in time, we have plenty of cheap, mostly just good enough to get by things to buy. The bad thing is our base of USA people with good jobs and money to spend is fast going away.

When the USA economy is based on consumer buying, but the consumers have lost their jobs to overseas operations that do not have the work rules the USA does - something has to give. And, right now it is happening. The fastest growing economies are all outside the USA.

I see it all the time. Example: Boaters looking for cheap propane stoves (almost all of which are made in China - look at the labels) and complaining about the initial cost of a Partner Steel stove made in Idaho USA. Buy one Partner Steel stove and use it for the rest of your life or pick up a cheap China made one and throw it away every couple years. It is an individual's choice as to how to spend their money. The bad thing is if Partner Steel stoves took over the market, my bet is pretty soon the company would sell out to say Coleman for big one time bucks and Idaho jobs would move somewhere else.

I do not have the total answer. I just know it seems like the USA is in a race to the bottom when it comes to taking care of our economy.
Welcome to free enterprise at its finest.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #14
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I have never seen a pair in person. Seems like a nice idea.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #15
Summit County, Colorado
My husband and I are NOT fans of Keens. We've each gone through 3 pair over 3 years, when our made in CO Chacos have lasted multiple years. We both had the back ankle straps give out on our Keens. I also don't like how little pebbles collect in the toes and you constantly have to take them off to empty out the dirt/rocks, especially during hikes.
summitraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If only we (as a nation) still subscribed to the philosophy "what's good for my neighbor is good for me" instead of "every man for himself".

It looks like Chaco's will be like my old favorite Alps, quickly turning into junk. I like the Ebay idea, I may have to stock up myself.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #17
Groveland, California
Damn! Just bought a new pair of Chacos, and sure enough says Made in China.....had no idea. The pair I was going to retire still says made in CO....now I'm feeling sentimental, maybe I can eek one more summer out of them.....

Sad news, I loved my Chacos, been faithful to them since the Alps factory burned down. (been a while since I have heard Alps mentioned....)
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #18
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
So I wonder if we can still get our USA made Chacos repaired in the USA?
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #19
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to cooldork
Originally Posted by brasscap View Post
So I wonder if we can still get our USA made Chacos repaired in the USA?
i sent mine in and they send em to michigan...sounds like they still fix em at wolverine products.
+ pUn-JaB +
cooldork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Personally i'm looking at a pair of keen hydro guide sandals next, although I wish the sides weren't so built up. I've had a pair of Keen flip flops for a few years and I love them - countless toe stubs avoided.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote