Old 11-01-2012   #31
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Osseous
First pair of Keens lasted 7 years- last year's pair lasted 7 weeks. Took them to a local cobbler and now they're wearable again- the stitching on the sides where the straps join the faux leather patch pulls out. Chinese stitching sucks
Had exact same problem with newport h2. Made it down deschutes and half way down MFS and the stitching near the ankles almost completely ripped out (rowing a boat and sitting around camp). Sent a pic to keen and they got me $100 credit in their store. Found a pair with lacing that shouldnt have this issue. Fingers crossed but will probably never buy keen again

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #32
Donkey Town, Colorado
Teva is making some river/wakeboarding shoes now. they are pretty nice, drain well and give you protection of a full sneaker, they dry pretty fast too, plus they kinda stylin.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #33
Ft Collins, Colorado
Thought I'd bump this up as the water's rising and it's time to get more serious about replacing my broken shoes.

Looks like the Astral Brewers and 5.10 Water Teenies are on top of my list - any updates on these or better options for low-volume kayaking shoes? Has anyone noticed whether the drain holes/slot in the Brewers have issues with getting gravel in the shoes and abrading dry suit socks and feet? I've had problems with sand/grit in other water shoes.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #34
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Stay with them! I just bought an old pair of chacos, made in colorado, for $25 off ebay. They said used but there is practically no sign of wear. They have made in colorado chacos of all condition on ebay. some i've seen go for $10 (those i'm sure you'd have to get resoled) up to $50 for basically new chacos (which is still a good deal for chacos). I agree about the quality going down and frankly i've been incredibly disappointed with chaco ever since they went to oversee production (which didn't even come with a price break!) I won't buy anything but quality, made in colorado chacos.
ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #35
pnw, Washington
Rechaco, they resole and re-strap, good as new. Maybe better.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #36
On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
TEVA baby

I don't see why people like chacos, really. As a professional guide protecting my feet on the river is a high priority. I mean exposed toes, not for me, not on the rivers i run. I have had a ton of river shoes, but so far, my keens have stood the test of time and I can't tell you how many times I have stubbed my toes on rocks only to have the black toes protector take the big hit for my toes. I also had the columbia drainmakers last season and they worked well. But I have found by far my favorite just a couple weeks ago. The TEVA gnarkosi or something like that. Look dope, work even better and I got them for $38 bucks online. THey are just sweet, basically like a skate shoe but made for water. I work a full season on the MFS and other rivers and I can't imagine having a better shoe for complete foot protection, kickin off rocks and after the trip you can just stroll into the K club and have some beers in style.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #37
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
+1 on the Teva Gnarkosi. Drain well. Don't collect gravel. Kinda grippy too. Got mine for $50.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #38
Denver,, exhaustion
i love how all the guides have to tell us they are guides...

i went with the 5.10 the traction is great. they do wear better with socks.
quality was/is not the greatest with my pair but i never even attempted to return them. (still wearing them)

signed... not a guide, just a boater that spends about 70 days a year paddling

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote