Old 03-25-2011   #1
Huntsville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
Cataraft from two SOAR 14 Canoes

I've been toying with the idea of building a gear boat out of two SOAR 14 canoes. I've looked at the volume and capacity of two SOAR 14 with a frame compared to other 14' and 16' cats. It is similar but before I start investing in another SOAR 14 and frame, etc. I wanted some feedback from the buzzards. especially Cat boaters.

Here is what I have come up with.

Pros: I already have one SOAR 14. I live in the SE so I would use the two SOARs seperately more often than a 15ft raft or cat. Very low center G. Gear could be loaded inside the SOARs and on top of the frame.

Cons: It could be a very wet ride. It would be a wide rig as the SOAR 14 is 40" wide plus I would like 30" between.

wwskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #2
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I've seen pictures of it being done with IKs before. But I wouldn't try it for what I do with my cat. What type of water are you planning on running?

Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #3
Huntsville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
Western mid to low water III. Maybe technical 4 with a lighter load. Mostly a family float boat. Anything really technical, shallow, or narrow I wouldn't use them as a gear boat.

I can NOT see using the boats in a cat configuration on the East Coast. No real overnight trips out here.

It hard to justify owning a 14'+ gear boat in the SE.
wwskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #4
Idaho, Wyoming
go to the alaska outdoor forums. there is a lot of discussion there about using pairs of aire travelers and pro pioneers as "catacanoes"
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #5
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
One concern might be that duckies with a 10 or 12-inch tube aren't as stiff as a cat tube twice that diameter. So rigged to a frame, they might have a tendency to "taco" on hitting a wave.

Inflate your duck, have two people hold a paddle shaft where you'd rig the front of the frame, and then pull up on the bow. Then you'll know.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #6
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
SOARS bail very slowly...
can'tdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #7
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Those soar boats can be rigged for 3+ or 4 water as a solo or tandem setup. What is your main your goal? saving $$$? the frame and straps needed to hold the Rube thing together might cost more that some classy cat tubes alone. My suggestion: keep the ik for the times you need it and drop the cash on a cat that serves your needs. Perhaps an added moter and mount could add some spice to the idea?
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #8
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed. If you got a narrow cat it would go down more eastern rivers than you'd think. Also on the truly mellow floats it could barge up end to end with the SOAR.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #9
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
If money is not a big issue, go for a real cataraft. Look at gear haulers like the AIRE Lion or NRS River Cat. The performance will be much higher and will make for a much better family float boat.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #10
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Alaska Raft and Kayak

Alaska Raft and Kayak - Home Page go to the preceding link and then click on "Ask Tracy". He's built a number of catacanoe frames on inflatable canoes. The site also has their phone number if you want to call and speak to Tracy - great guy. We just had the Alaska Sportsman Show and they had a catacanoe with frame on display - not too complicated and the frame set up allows you to break it down during your trip if you want/need.

Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote

canoe, cataraft