Old 04-06-2011   #11
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I've been using a rig for probably 7 years now which is composed of two IK's tied together with a very simple "frame" of two pieces of raft tubing. I usually use two tandem IK's (the superduck) but have done singles also (beta duck). With the tandem rig I'll use anywhere from 2 - 4 paddlers. There's only about 1 foot of space between the boats so it's a pretty narrow rig. It's been on lot's of class III-IV day trips and longer, self supported stuff like the Middle Fork. It's incredibly stable, quick turning, and secure for paddlers as long as they are using thigh straps. I'm taking it on a Grand trip in June which should be a hoot. I do fill it with float/gear bags to help with the self-bailing speed. The only negative in my mind is it's a very wet ride. You have to be dressed properly.

I'm not sure what it would be like with two Soars though given their larger tubes, etc. And I've never tried to row the Superduck.

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #12
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

I originally had an AIRE travellar 7-8yrs ago and saw a photo of Tracy Harmons design in AK a few years ago. We ended up getting another and built a frame for them. Pros: Very stable, holds a ton of gear, very quick (loaded down faster than a cat or raft) Cons: most expensive way to go, very heavy (mine anyway), and could be problematic if ever wrapped (ive never done it). All in all, ive been very please with it and have tackled all kinds of water. Shallow rocky boulder gardens to big swirly hydraulics, it handles just as good if not better than anything else.

dprinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #13
Phippsburg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
As long as you are not planning to run super technical water the two SOAR's would work great as a cat. They are a lot more rigid than you might think. Might suggest going with the Canyon 15 footer. The Canyon has 14 inch tubes and they get you out of the water better than the 12"ers.

I have a Pro Pioneer with 14 inch tubes and I love it. We run class 3 and 4 with it as a stand alone boat with oar saddles. Agree the floors drain a touch slower than a normal raft but the Canyon drains/floor is designed a little better.

I plan to do the same thing with another Pro P next season. Thinking to have DRE build a custom frame with the DRE seat and decking. Two dry boxes, two cooler spots, transom and I'm thinking 11 foot oars. Definitely a class 3 - 4, don't crash the meat of a mean rapid family/party rig, but I'm fine with that.

propanetank is offline   Reply With Quote

canoe, cataraft