Old 05-20-2012   #21
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997

What was the question?

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #22
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What great feedback! First things first: Life is too short for crap beer. Fat Tire or Old Chub depending on the temp and the mood. Do they make 90 shilling in cans?
Back to the boat, I'm sure Cataraftgirl is right when she says " I can guarantee that after your maiden voyage there will some things you rethink and move around. Try to keep your frame design at least a little bit flexible so that you can rearrange stuff later." To that end, I am really giving this a lot of thought! Re: the dimensions; It's not set in stone yet, but I think it'll be 36" including the rails. The idea of a drop bag under the front hatch has me wondering; what would happen if I "happen" over a rocK? Would suck to have the contents spill out. Guess that's a risk with the cooler bag too. Advantages' more room! Anyone else care to weigh in on that one?

I plan to have one passenger on the Grand and maybe more on the Main Salmon coming up in a month. I got what I thought was a cool piece of advise re: the drop hatch; Build the front 24" with Diamond plate hinged to the front rail and the last 12" welded in place. Will need a support piece for this. That way, the entire sleeping platform is on the same plane (the side rails will be plated too). As for what to put in that front hatch; Beer, Fire pan and some water and perhaps fruit in Milk Crates. How to keep weight up there when the beer is gone?!

Next question; Am planning on a Bimini, but pretty sure that won't suffice for rain protection. Anyone have any good ideas on how to rig a good rain fly for that front deck? One friend suggested a Black Diamond Megamid.

Man, this fun.. I go to sleep "spinning" about how to rig this thing...

Love2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #23
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Love2fish View Post

Man, this fun.. I go to sleep "spinning" about how to rig this thing...
I hear ya man. I spent last winter tinkering with my set-up. With a calculator, some graph paper, and a burning desire to add a second dry box to my rig. I would say, make a list of everything that "must" go on your boat, then a list of what you'd like to have, then think about where you want it. Remember to factor in weight distribution, accessibility, and what stuff is ok to bury under other gear. Have fun with it!

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote