Old 06-03-2012   #11
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by tomrefried
how would that keep the tether ring from getting caught on the blade?
When you ship the oar, the ring of the tether slides down the shaft onto the blade, when you try to put the oar back in the water the ring gets caught and wont slide from the blade to the shaft. Now you have to drop the other oar, get up, free up the ring and get both oars back in the water.
I've given up on my fancy oar tethers and gone back to a simple rope.
Not if you have a donut squeezed around the end of the shaft. It keeps the ring from falling into the carlisle tether trap. If you apply enough force the donut will pull off the shaft and against the blade, but you dont experience this while shipping your oars

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #12
Lemooreq, California
Paddling Since: 1969
Here's the response I got from Cataract. Very quickly, sent Saturday, rec'd this AM.

"Thanks for the inquiry. There's a quick, good fix to maintain the surface on the fiberglass oars and it involves a can of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (Clear Gloss). You can typically get this in an 11.5 oz. spray can from Lowe's or Home Depot. If you rough up the surface of the oars with a Scotch-brite pad first and apply 3 coats (and follow the cure instructions between coats) you'll get excellent coverage over the surface. A big thing to maintaining the oars is to ensure that they're covered and out of the weather when not in use. UV exposure with fiberglass products (and a lot of other materials) is going to affect the surface over the long haul.

Once you restore the coating you might want to consider 303 Protectant. Here's a short description:

"303 Aerospace Protectant - Pump--SPF 40 Sunscreen For Your Stuff!™This is the maintenance product manufacturers recommend most. Only ‘303' beautifies as intensely, protects as powerfully or lasts as long. Powerful UV screening protection for gel-coat fiberglass, vinyl, vinyl awnings and graphics (stripes), tires, EPDM rubber roofs and seals. Spray on/Wipe dry. Treated surface repel dirt, soiling and staining. Nontoxic and environmentally safe."

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to call me.

Jake JonesAdvanced Composites, Inc2575 South 3270 WestSalt Lake City, UT 84119

pvsprme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #13
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Never thought of protecting my shafts

Thank god there is no sun in the pacific NW
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #14
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
When I redid mine I found the pits in the coating to be too deep to get out with a Scotchbrite pad or 320 grit paper. I tried to spray the varnish to fill the pits and it looked crappy. I ended up working them more than I was really comfortable with to remove the old yellowing coat. I trust now that I haven't hurt them too badly after pulling on the oars in 70 mph trying to stay off the cheese-graters on the San Juan last weekend. They look good now, and don't give splinters, and I think I will be able to maintain the finish now as recommended.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote