Old 08-22-2012   #11
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for all the infor and feed back. Just some more information that will help on the side conversation about sotar/warranty/quality. I am the third owner of the tubes and they have served me well for the price I paid. The tubes were sold as seconds from sotar (I don't know why), sotar has always been super good to me and though I have not asked (I might, but I don't have the $ to throw at even a screaming good deal) for a break on new tubes, I get the feeling that they would help out. When I talked to the sotar tech, he was very straight foward and did not sugar coat the proplem or what was happening to the tubes. They are almost twenty years old, things wear out. On another note, sotar spent over an hour on the phone helping we with a flex tuff (That they did not sell me) install on a Wing....They are good people. And I really like there products.

Sorry for the sotar add, but I really have nothing bad to say.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #12
Idaho, Wyoming
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
that's fine and all but this is a reputable builder who's image is important. Yeah their warranty is 6 years but this is clearly a defective boat whether it happens on year 6 or 16 ...

unless I'm mistaken Spanky is probably going to be in the market for a new boat. He's either going to walk away from the Sotar brand, bad mouthing it and saying he was wronged. Or someone from Sotar will take this opportunity to provide him a discount on a new boat, turn this into a win for the company at little or no profit, yet little or no cost to them.

they can either lose in profit and make a happy customer again, or they can walk away from the customer. Bad reviews travel 5x further ...

Try applying that logic on a product of any kind. Whether it's a Ford or Toyota, Remington or Ruger, Lund or Whaler, Harley or Yamaha, Polaris or Ski Doo, I doubt you will get past the laughing stage whether you are in the market or not. Shit wears out. If you buy old stuff, the chances of it failing or needing repair while you own it, increase with it's age.

FWIW, the only product I've ever owned with a truly unconditional lifetime warranty is a Sage rod.

billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #13
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #14
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
The Sotar people probably explained it top you but there is a fix for this problem. My sotar self-bailer (90s) has the same problem. What you need to do is buy solucoat (or some such thing) and liquid lex from sotar. You cut off the bubble, seal the fabric with the solucoat and then paint back up the lex outer coat. It worked well for me. Takes a couple days as things have to dry inbetween coats but my repairs have been holding well for a couple years now.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #15
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
Define real pressure.
Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #16
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Garystrome -

I assume that question was to my orginal post

1.5#, boat was on the soft or the firm side. Prior to filling it up, it was inflated just enough to kinda hold it shape while working on it for two weeks. Again it sat unused / no air for quite a few years. I assume that the delam happened on one of the folds / storage creases. Who knows.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you are dealing with a boat with a known factory/product defect, it seems reasonable to me to request that they do that treatment for you, or comp you the materials so you can avoid paying shipping on the boat.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote