Old 03-19-2011   #1
s, Virginia
Cat folks

Howdy, I've been reading and reading the last few days, lots of great information on this site. I was wondering if you guys could give your thoughts on the Skookum Steelheader II. I'll mostly be fishing flat water up to Class II maybe III. Most of the time I'll be by myself, but every once in a while I'll have a fishing partner. I may do some over night trips. I camp pretty light, 2 person tent, small stove, and a few things so not much weight. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Also I'm a tad confused on the clothing, would a layer of polypro, then a farmer john wetsuit, then a spalsh top and pants be a good outfit for what I'm describing above? Thanks again!

Machias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #2
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I like the tight little frames Skookum has. Looks like a cool boat, but for $3500 you could get something bigger and take the family down class III in style. Check the want ads on the left side of the page. I have two boats and I still cruise through there - can't help it.

If that small size cat is what you're after, check out Jack's Plastic at

Wear your neoprene next to the skin. Bring the clothes in a dry bag to change into. Your cotton underwear days are over.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #3
s, Virginia
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Jacks. I've been watching the classified at the side. Some nice stuff in there. I don't see myself, at least not at this point and skill level, doing IV or Vs, I figure if I ever get to that point I'll just buy a Wave Destroyer or a Legend. I think a 14 foot cat will be just right for most of the things I want to use it for.

Thanks for the clothing advise.
Old 03-19-2011   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Gary at in Greely can get you into a 12'cat with a frame for about $1100 ( No, I am not Gary and have only met him once, but I do own one of his boats) Throw in another $500 for oars and maybe a rower's seat, and your in business with a reasonable cat for fishing or whitewater. `14' footers are not a lot more. These are maxxim's, not the best tubes in the world, but not bad.
dwnbydariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #5
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Also check out Outcast. It's an AIRE brand that specializes in fishing boats. they come with small frames. They have the best warranty in the business.

But you really can't go wrong with a whole lot of brands.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #6
s, Virginia
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
Old 03-20-2011   #7
Keep in mind the steelheader uses the same tubes as mentioned by dwnbydariver. I agree with going with Gary if you want the best deal around. I myself run 10 foot maxxon tubes [Same as steelheader 2] on my dayfishing rig, and even though I built it for low volume mild rivers, or lakes; it has taken me down some pretty wild class 4 without any problems. I have a much beefier frame and better oars than skookum, or whoever makes the steelheader sells; so not sure how the frame or oars would hold up to abuse. If you plan on taking someone else on the boat with you, you really need 12-14 feet in a cat; and the steelheader 2 is 10 feet I am pretty sure.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #8
s, Virginia
Are you sure about the tubes on the Skookum, my understanding is they are NOT Maxxons, they are welded. The steelheader II is 12 feet.
Old 03-20-2011   #9
s, Virginia
I stand corrected, they are Maxxons. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011   #10
They are definitely maxxons; or at least they use to be. You can find these same tubes for 550-700 if you look around. They make a 12 foot version, and Skookum does a duel person 12 footer, but they are definitely maxxon tubes. I though the steelheader 2 was still the 10foot version, but could be wrong. I went through the same process a year ago, but since I was building a 16foot sotar frame, I just bent a miniframe for the maxxon tubes. I came out with a much better product than skookum sells for about 1300 total, complete with a fishing deck, true WW oars and locks, etc... If you do not want to mess with building a frame, just get hold of Gary, and have him build you a frame.
Carslile 8.5 foot oars seem about right for my setup, but you could get by with 8 footers. Be aware, Carslile makes a crappy wannabe oar that Skookum sells; get the real WW oars if you want to run WW. Good oars will cost you over 100 each. You will get a much better for about half the cost if you just buy the tubes from the distibutor, get gary to build a frame, and get some carsliles. Also be aware, I think the Maxxon distributor is up in your neck of the woods somewhere.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote