Old 03-24-2011   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
what a bunch of sissy rafters bagging on this guy's idea for a wooden floor. i just spent a winter running the futaleufu and i saw more than one wooden floor in a cataraft there. sure it's less than ideal because it's heavy, but so what? i think it depends more on your rowing skills than what your floor is made of to make it down some spicy class 5.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #22
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
A solid floor will catch water, and flip you easier; simple as that. I used to have a wood floor and it sucked big time, it was like having a raft only worse (ducky worse).

Rowing skills can make a difference, but I am clumsy and inept, so I like to stack the odds in my favor, that's why I have a cat, and one with no floor.

Laura- the steel is very lightweight, but a cheesegrater. It is fine on my big cat with a narrow foot bay, but would be asking for stitches on play cat.

tango - dude asked for opinion on a wood floor he got one. If he was tough he'd build his own dory by hand.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #23
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
Laura- the steel is very lightweight, but a cheesegrater. It is fine on my big cat with a narrow foot bay, but would be asking for stitches on play cat
Do you think there's any rigid steel (or other?) mesh product out there that wouldn't be sharp? I think it sounds like a nice idea for the grand, where a floor would be very comfy and still have the performance of a cat.

Tango- The Russians are even more hardcore, haven't you heard of their rigging? They cut trees down and build their frames on site. I think they cut them down with their teeth like beavers. Very manly. But even they don't use wood floors.

So what? I like a rig that makes me a better rower than I am (and rowing easier), not the other way around. I think most people do too, and one of the reasons folks ask questions. Likewise I don't ski in leather boots either.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #24
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Or a wrist tether (slidable knot), which I just put on my tools, including one new screwdriver.

Floors on cats have got to be nice on the grand, where some separation from that frigid water seems desirable! This is why I'm considering a raft for my next trip, but man I don't want to row a raft!
I used to feel exactly the same way. I came full circle when I rowed my friends 16' 8" Maravia self bailer on a 12 day Tat trip--the flotation and ease of oaring a loaded boat on a multi-week trip trumped several other AK trips with my 18' Aire Leopard in overall degree of difficulty.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #25
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I used dropbags in the frame and a plywood floor under my feet to the back bay, it worked great and i found every lighter since I put it in, But now I bought a raft and all the new nuances start....
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #26
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
A full floor might cause you to flip, same as having gear too close to the tips of the tubes. A small section under your feet should be ok
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #27
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I've been running wood floors, and mesh floors for many years. I use the mesh floor when set up as a paddle cat, or running with no gear. I have made wood floors from 3/4 ply on many occasions. I have one about 5 foot long. and another about 6 foot long. I always run these when rowing with gears and passengers.
to sum up, for technical hard whitewater, run mesh. for gear trips run wood.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #28
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
A lot of the cat frame designs I've been seeing recently do not have scout bars-which I feel are crucial on a cat frame. The ones that don't, I can see that a floor of some kind would be pretty handy-but have the major drawback of not being able to drop through to the water when needed, or come up through the hole-if ya flip.

On any kind of technical river where "flintstoning" your cat is handy I don't use a floor. Being able to drop your feet down into the water can sometimes make the difference between catching a must-make scout, or being blown downstream.

The floor I do use is one I made out of plywood and coated with several layers of high end deck stain. My modular frames are pretty shallow, so my floor is about 8" off the water. It extends the whole length of my rowing frame. When rigging for multi-day trips, I rig stuff under my seat on the wooden floor like delicious, cold beer. I attach the floor to the frame with hose clamps so there's no sway or sloppy movement.

My advice: make your own floor out of plywood-that way you can customize it for your needs, it doesn't sag when wet, is stable when you've had a few barley pops, and is fairly cheap. *Don't use a floor when on the technical stuff.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #29
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Take a look at this recent thread on cat floors:

Here's a PolyMax scouting floor. You could also build a full floor for gear-hauling campout trips. Easy to swap.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #30
Hamilton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1992

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

rsmith0955 is offline   Reply With Quote