Old 06-14-2011   #11
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I run 8' poly-pro straps off the middle-ish D-ring on my 14' sotar legend cat and have had no trouble grabbing the strap and reflipping in 30-40 seconds. I hate messing with flip line bags. I've flipped twice so far this year, both on the Murtaugh at about 20k. The first , few weeks ago,was a surprise and the other was yesterday and a little more expected as we were surfing a massive wave.
I say practice is the biggest thing, far more important than bungees or bags. There is something sort of liberating about nailing your re-flip, especially if you like to surf and play in big water.

Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
In my experience, the around the waist flipline has a couple limitations. First, if you are in whitewater it can be difficult to unclip the biner from your waist and reclip it to a D or the frame. For pool-drop type runs this is fine, but anything continuous and it can be an issue. Second, it takes two or three waist wraps to get something long enough to reflip anything with a frame or gear on it. The multiple wraps just end up being a pain and often have to be resized based on heavy drinking vs drysuit vs board shorts only.

Pre-rigged fliplines on both sides are the only way to go and two systems merit usage:

1) Bungy flip lines by madcatr and others are solid for cats and stay out of your oars. You dont have to reach over the tube to grab for it.

2) Ben's System Above. I run about 8' of flat webbing tied off to a D. Tubular is bad for this application since it bunches at the ends so I run the strongest flat webbing that I can find. Same as the tag lines off the front and back of each tube. Rarely gets on the oars and shorter is better, but make sure it is long enough to reflip when loaded.

pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #13
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I am coming around to thinking that the bungy flip lines are worth the entrapment hazard for continuous water.
I like my waist bag for paddle trips and other day stuff but the effectiveness on a gear boat is dubious and another person would have to have one too.

I like the idea of another person being able to jump on the boat and have a ready flip line.

selway in 16 days.....

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote