Old 08-23-2013   #1
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Cart for IK and carabiners

If I go out alone with my Outfitter II looks like I will need a cart if the ground isn't suitable for dragging to and from water. Looks like people use them for portage, too. Recommendations for cart that works well with inflatable kayak?

Another issue -- why not use small carabiners connected to the end of my seat straps and clip the biners to the boat loops for real quick change? Why not use for anything that works with the loops? I'm a rookie but seems like at least a small advantage ...?

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #2
Boise, Idaho
I know that the Outfitter II is under 50 lbs (not incl. supplies) but carrying very far seems so awkward. Maybe there is a trick to it? Otherwise, a well-designed collapsable cart seems so efficient, safe and civilized.

Old 08-24-2013   #3
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
There are lots of collapsible 2 wheel carts made for carrying canoes out there. They should all work just fine.

I think you'll find 'biners unsatisfactory as you'll end up with a little slack in your straps. Cam straps will become your good friends. Get extras, the river snakes tend to gobble them up. Paint the buckles with a color unique to you.
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #4
Derby, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1975
I have on occasion done the hand truck thing, then lock the hand truck to a good sized tree, pump up my IK (or raft) then off I go - but I suppose come to think of it that only works for a round trip journey.
"Catch Me If You Can...."
Otterwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #5
Highland Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
NRS C-Tug Boat Cart with Kiwi Wheels

This cart is a little pricy but breaks down enough to fit inside the hull of my kayak.

I have used this cart to stack two IKs with gear while doing 1 mile loops at the Golden Playpark.

Note: I have this model accept with pneumatic tires that are impossible to air up due the valve stems that are hard to reach with an air tool.
Will be returning and getting the one with Kiwi Wheels.
hollek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #6
Boise, Idaho
Quantum Engineering Stern Cart looks good - light weight, compact and $80 @REI. Load, lift and pull from the bow. Excellent reviews. I ordered and will report back. Thanks all.
Old 08-24-2013   #7
Boise, Idaho
Just attached the mini-biners to the straps on the cheetah chairs now I can just clip the chairs in wherever I want without undoing the seat straps from the boat loops when I want to change position. I buckled both straps together on each corner of the chair, attached the carabiner to the end, cinched it tight and then clipped the carabiner to the appropriate boat loop. To make it fit securely I just clipped into the further loop. It only saves a little effort but it is quick and easy. I did the same with my thigh straps. It may save wear on the straps. I bought a few extra mini-biners -- looks like they will be handy.
Old 08-24-2013   #8
San Juan Islands, Washington
I added a third set of seat clips / straps To my Lynx II, If I want to use it as a solo boat I just clip a seat into the middle clips, Install thigh straps in the proper loops, and strap in a foot block. It Makes it easy to switch from a tandem to a solo boat.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Reviving the thread

Wondering how the Quantum Engineering Stern Cart worked out, and what others use for duckies.
cue2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #10
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
You may want to see what Salamander has to offer....a couple choices and you support a local Boise company.

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote