Old 02-28-2012   #1
Carrying car keys and keeping them dry

My plan - Keeping them dry | Unsponsored – UK Kayaking

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #2
Never ever ever take your keys on the river...... they stay on the car.

I have been thru many experiences where I am glad the keys were on the car and not in someones boat or PFD.

nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #3
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Never ever ever take your keys on the river...... they stay on the car.

I have been thru many experiences where I am glad the keys were on the car and not in someones boat or PFD.
Agreed, way too many times we go shuttle and forget that the keys are back at the takeout. That bag would be a good option to put your key in before hiding it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #4
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
If you have to take a key take one, but always keep a spare on your car! If you have a truck or SUV, and are not hauling a trailer, try this, works great:
Hitch Safe, Key Storage Hitches, Hide Car Key, Auto Key Safe, Trailer Hitch Covers, Receivers
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #5
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I tried out those bags on the Rogue (they make odor proof ones so bears don't think your stuff is tasty). I was shocked to discover they were cheaper at REI than online. They do work very well for keeping things dry and they are relatively cheap. My only concern is how much abuse they can withstand over a few uses with sharp keys poking them.

FWIW- I always clip my car key inside my pocket on my person under my pfd. If I lose it then- I've probably got bigger problems than just getting locked out of my car.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Make a hardware store copy that will open the door to take with you. Lock the key with the chip in it in the car. Keep a spare door key in a magnet box stashed somewhere safe. Wear the door key on a string around your neck under your drytop and try to have you car at the take out. That way if you swim, your comrades have inscentive to save you. The insurance company is not your friend.
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #7
I put the key to my new truck in a pelican case with our phones on long trips. I had the old truck jacked at the take out on the Salt, so I don't love the idea of creating a package deal for some shithead. I also use the key and lanyard under the dry suit method for day trips.

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote