Old 05-02-2011   #1
Boise, Idaho
Cargo Gear Review

Just purchased a DRE captain's bag from Darren at Frontier, as well as whitewater designs' thwart bag and large cataraft top/side bag, both from Cascade Outfitters.

The DRE bag is an excellent design and is very similar to Jan's bag, though it has plastic cutting board material sandwiched between the double mesh as opposed to foam like Jan's. Jan's is slightly larger and less expensive. Both seem to be excellent designs. The DRE will fit all the stuff I will want when rowing my gear boat(snacks, sunglasses, water, camera, sunscreen, etc.) and is even large enough to easily fit my K100 pump.

The whitewater designs bags are not quite as bomber as the DRE/SNS stuff, but they look like they will also work very well. Cascade Outfitters always stands behind their products regardless. These too will hold things I will want quick access to while paddling/rowing, including my K pump. I find that though a little expensive, bags like this can cut down on entanglement hazards and hassle as there are fewer little things tied/strapped all over the place. Zippered bags are far easier to get into than a drybag and are very cost effective compared to dryboxes(which one would probably not paddle with anyhow). I looked at the NRS thwart bag, but needed a shorter one that could be used in all my paddle boats, and I also like cordura over PVC in some cases, and this bag is also larger than the NRS.

All three items are highly recommended.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off