Carbon vs Fiber Glass - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2011   #1

Garrett, Maryland
Carbon vs Fiber Glass

I desperately need a new helmet. Right now I use a protec that worked alright but is not meant for whitewater and as I've progressed its turning into a liability.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to either SR's shaggy or TDUB through fit, style...etc. Shred Ready seems to make a decent brain bucket. However, I'm conflicted on which version would be better suited. They both come in a Carbon/Kevlar and Fiber Glass/Shredlar option. I'm leaning twords Fiber Glass however if the Carbon is leaps and bounds better I wouldn't mind spending the $60 more.

Thanks

Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #2

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I believe the carbon fiber might be lighter. That's the main advantage it brings, if any. The Shaggy is noticeably heavier than the Super Scrappy, but I'm not sure how scrappy compares to Tdub. Hopefully you can try them all on, otherwise, ask Shred Ready. They're really good about getting back to people via email if you're a little patient.

I think Shred Ready is an excellent choice, if only for their superior (HOG) retention system. Check out this review.

In independent safety tests helmet blowback is measured by attaching a hook to the front of the helmet, running it through a pulley and tying a weight to the other end (essentially). The weight is dropped from a prescribed height and the distance the helmet travels back is measured. Helmets using the HOG system rated 0 in blowback. End of discussion, you can't score better than that.

I don't work for 'em or anything, or even own a SR helmet yet, but ever since I tried one on, it's been high on my list. Needless to say, I'm a little jealous of anyone I see with these helmets on, even the $40 Sesh.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #3

Garrett, Maryland
Thanks for the reply!

I thought about contacting SR, but was also hoping to get various boaters opinions based on their experiences, or friends.

I thought the super scrappy was an ABS shell? The TDUB should be heavier than the shaggy as its essentially the same but with added lengths. Most of the links I find online comparing durability, impact..etc seem to be for motorcycle helmets.
Old 06-30-2011   #4

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Just a thought but have you considered covering the base of your skull. The brain buckets look cool and all but they leave a lot of area exposed. If your never gonna run a drop upside down and backwards then go with a bucket. If the possibility does exist then I would lean more towards the safety side than the fashion show side.
Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #5

Garrett, Maryland
I've checked out both sweets and SR full face options and why i'd love to have one of those I just don't have the money right now to drop on one. I figure the level I'm at now a bucket should provide a decent enough protection until I move up and require something more.

I don't have a ton of $ to spend on things but I always go for good safety gear before anything else. Hell I don't even have a legit paddle I've just been using a rec one I cut up. It gets me down the river though haha
Old 07-01-2011   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, the Super Scrappy is made of ABS Plastic, but is lighter than the shaggy (according to the review I linked to). I think to get the best of both worlds, in terms of weight and durability, you'd have to go with Carbon Fiber. Carbon fiber options in general tend to be the lightest. At the same time I'd want to be really sure that the helmet is noticeably lighter than the fiberglass equivalent, before I dropped the extra $$$ on it.

So the way I look at it, I would either go with ABS Plastic, or spend the extra doh and go right on up to carbon fiber so you don't sacrifice weight for added durability.

I think it's not so cut and dry when it comes to protection. It would seem that the more of your head that's covered, the better, but it can introduce new types of possible injuries, at the same time. I won't get into it too much, but as an example, there's some controversy surrounding full-face motorcycle helmets being more likely to cause neck-breaking injuries. Unfortunately, there's no one perfect helmet. I think they all offer different types of protection and are better than each other for different reasons.
Old 07-01-2011   #7

Garrett, Maryland
Thanks for the help!

I just got back from the shop, ended up getting the fiber glass composite shaggy. The weight difference between the three was hardly that much (For me, anyway). I contemplated getting the scrappy for a while in the store but the shaggys fit was superb.

I'll spend the $60 difference on beer and fireworks this weekend :P
Old 07-01-2011   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Oh yeah, that whole "comfort" thing factors in too, lol. I'm sure it'll treat you well, for many years to come.