Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 04-24-2010   #1
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Can't see the water! what is the best glasses for kayaking?

So I am blind as a bat when I don't where my glasses. I have tried to go down river without them, but everything is a white blur! I usually kayak in a old pair of prescription glasses, but they tend to get really foggy on cold days. and the bigger the water I do the more I get annoyed by wearing them. I cant afford the eye surgery, and i heard that head trauma could be really bad for it, what do people who cant see without glasses do?

sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
what about sports glasses like these guys?

Rec Spec Maxx 21 Goggles | Sportrx.com

" This is the perfect war. They want to die, and we want to kill them".
Sgt Maj Henry Bergeron USMC:
DragonUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I wear contacts.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #4
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've really liked the results I get from Ortho-K. Check this out for more info:

Orthokeratology (Ortho-k) - Non-Surgical Corneal Reshaping

The first couple of nights suck, but it gets better. It took me about two or three wearings before I'd be comfortable driving at night with no suplimental correction. The doc I got my lenses from gave me a pair of weak disposable contacts to wear later in the day for those first couple of days. You can also wear the Ortho-k lenses during the day, but they are too uncomfortable for me to do that. I got good correction all day/night long after a few days of wearing the lenses at night. My doc said some people are able to wear the lenses every-other night, but I have to wear them every night when I sleep.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #5
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I use to wear contacts... but due to a bad Tabasco instance.. that shall go un-named... I have not been wearing them. also I open my eyes a lot after a role or playing in a wave so don't they fall out?
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #6
80523, Confusion
Mine have never fallen out. And I bring an extra pair, just in case.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #7
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If there is any way you can get the surgery, do it. I know it sounds expensive, but I think I used to spend a lot on glasses, contacts, and exams. I used my flex spending account to "finance" it. The prices have come down a lot in recent years. I wore contacts or glasses for the first six years that I boated and never found a good solution. The best I could do was daily wear contacts and keep spares and saline in my pfd. That was pretty expensive, too though.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #8
Southeast, USA, Southeast, USA
I wear Costa Del Mar glasses.. You can buy them with tons of different lens colors that work in many different type of conditions...mine don't seem to fog up too bad but it could have to do with the shape of my face....Plus you can have your eye prescription added for like $70..
Mountainfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #9
Denver,, exhaustion
i use an old pair of Rx sunglasses... they do fog early in the season but a quick splash in the face takes care of that.
I have tried many of the fog proofing sprays... (most of the ones i tried came from motorcycle shops).... most are just dust repellants, they work ok on the motorcycle helmet, but i have not tried them on the river.
definitely feel your pain though.
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #10
Southeast, USA, Southeast, USA
What about some low profile anti fog divers goggles???? You can buy them with a prescription..

Mountainfitter is offline   Reply With Quote