Old 06-30-2013   #21
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have one of the original Woody square Dutch ovens.

Not the first DO I purchased many years ago, but I think the first aluminum DO.

It still does the job cooking pretty well, the square shape is a bit easier to pack.

But, since I got the GSI hard anodized units, I rarely use my Woody DO except when our Arkansas Canoe Club DustBowl Chapter puts on it's annual DOG AKA Dutch Oven Gathering each november and we need an extra DO for folks wanting to try their hand doing DO cooking.

My river setup is a york box with two GSI 12's on one end, a GSI 10 plus other utensils in one 12 and a couple nesting stainless mixing bowls in the other. In the end space remaining is a big Partner Steel Cowboy coffee pot which we use to heat up water and a big stainless steel Bodum coffee press. I fill in the spaces with DO gloves, pads, tongs, DO lid lifter, assorted big stainless spoons etc. I do cowboy coffee for a large group but have to admit really enjoying the coffee press when there is a small number of coffee drinkers.

I have not actually seen the "new" Woody DO's but from the pictures they look exactly line my original including the unique tongs for lid lifters. Mine came with a set of short tubes to use on the bottom legs as this will elevate the bottom a bit higher from the firebox. Don't know if the new models have this included but sections of pipe should work well.

Good idea on the GSI potential model. If they would make a GSI version - I would buy one in a flash.

okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #22
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The thing that would hold me back on the Woody DO is that it's not anodized, just aluminum. I really like the anodized for ease of clean-up, and it seems to cook better.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #23
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have both lodge cast iron and several just regular aluminum dutch ovens.

Since I got the GSI hard anodized aluminum dutch ovens, that is all I cook in on river trips.

Like cataraftgirl, I rarely use the regular aluminum stuff since I got the hard anodized GSI Dutch ovens.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #24
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have the anodized 10 & 12. My rafting buddy has the regular aluminum 10 & 12. He's always trying to steal mine
My stupid DO story ....... I keep a piece of the blue foam camping pad cut to size, inside my 12 inch DO to cushion it from the 10 inch DO that nests inside it. One time I packed it up with one of those foil DO liners in the 12 inch, then loaded in the 10 inch. My plan was to warm up some home made ham & cheese muffins in the 12 inch on the stove top for the put-in day breakfast. The foil liner was supposed to eliminate clean-up. I plunked the DO on the stove and fired up the heat. After awhile, something smelled funny. Duh !!!!! I had forgotten to lift out the foil liner and take out the blue foam pad. No I had not been drinking the night before. Just in a hurry & forgetful. I was the trip leader, so I had a lot on my mind on launch day. The blue foam pad was partially melted into the DO. I thought it was ruined, but with some hot water, scrubbing, and a ton of elbow grease and scraping with a sharp knife, it came off. Good to go. I'm convinced that the anodized DOs are invincible. But I'll remember never to put one on a blaster.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #25
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
The big Rome retangular combo frier pics I posted is aluminum non-anodized. Non-ano works just fine, you don't see anyone with a Rome combo DO frier selling them in a fire sale to trade up for a round anodized DO?

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote