Mountain Buzz banner

Can a Helmet Company Step Up Already

12K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  themechanicnotthetool 
#1 ·
A recent thread about some awesome new colors on the Sweet Helmets was posted. While this option is cool I'm sure, I'm tired of hearing about basic non-helpful changes to helmets. As a larger person with a head to to match I would really like to see a helmet company step up and make a full face helmet that comes in a larger size. There have been several posts on this website and I'm sure others inquiring about helmets for larger size heads. Jackson stepped up and made boats big enough for very large people and very small as well. Many times those same people have larger heads. I can get a paddle made by AT or Werner in a longer size to meet my needs. Why won't a helmet company make something a bit bigger that doesn't need to be modified or shaved down to just squeeze in? I'd buy a sweet today if it fit even just a little. I'd buy a WRSI the same way. ONE OF YOU STEP UP AND MAKE A HELMET ALREADY, that has full face protection and is large enough for up to a size 8 or something. I called WRSI several years back and they said they were going to make one and nothing, then they got sold. Just saying, the first one of you to do it would probably sell plenty of helmets to cover the costs of what ever molds needed to be made.

#7 ·
I empathize with your plight.

That said, I think many people overestimate how "big" the whitewater market is. It doesn't behoove any of these guys to open a mold/pay development costs/produce/import/distribute an item that has such a limited demographic that'll buy it.

It's not you, it's just business, and the proof is in the continued fact that a writ-large helmet doesn't exist.

If they could tweak the numbers in such a way to make it look profitable, they'd do it. But the market is just too small.

#8 ·
Poc helmets has some high quality lids in true XXL sizing. I've been paddling in one of these for the last 2 seasons and been really happy with it.

Has full shell aramid sheating over fracturable EPS foam. I'm convinced it offers at least as good of protection as a Rocker if not better. Especially since they did away with the full cut; lame.

#9 ·
I get that the kayaking communitty isn't real large. I also get the economics of producing a helmet. I am in no way a helmet producer nor do I intend to be one in the future. That said, Jackson has made boats that will fit someone on very far edges of the sizing spectrum. I would venture to say that a kayak mold is more expensive than a helmet mold. I know that the niche is a small group in a small group, but it would certainly be nice to have an option.

#10 ·
True, but Jackson hasn't updated the Superfun or Monstar since their original runs in 2007/2010 respectively, they may not have made any money off them.

What annoys me even more is that the sizing of Sweet's fullface is slightly tigher than the Wanderer and Strutter models.

#16 ·
Helmet makers must think kayakers don't have much brains. Well, I have lots of brains and want to keep a lot of them. So I have had problems with finding helmets sized big enough. I got a big FSN fullface but had to shave it a little and then add back foam (it had strips with gaps that I filled in). Haven't taken a big hit so I'm not sure it will work...HOPE so.

So what do I use for cold water/weather when I need a thick beanie? Sol. No way to fit one in the fsn. I had an old Prijon with a clip on face bar that I added more modern foam lining to, and used that; but probably sketch, def sketch once the shell started age cracking. Only helmet to fit with a dive hood was an nrs. Open face, but I'm mostly playing, running gates, or doing flat water workouts in the winter. Maybe nrs will step up and make a full face. Is it that much trouble to add a chin bar? How about something to help with rotational hits like we are starting to see for mtb? Kayakers obviously will pony up the bucks since the cool helmets have some sweet prices. I guess full face is not cool. Must be a pussy.

#19 ·
I am not sure about the foam that is used in full face mt. biking helmets, but the one I have seems tough enough to take multiple impacts from kayaking. My downhill mt. bike helmet has a really thick plastic shell, and you would have to take a very large hit to the head to damage the foam inside. Since mt. biking is a much larger market than kayaking, I would assume you could find a bigger biking helmet.

#22 ·
Whoa coboater dude, thanks for your constructive input on an important subject. Really helpful. U must b one of the pin head, no brain, idiots that buy the not very good, expensive, stylish, cool and small helmets. I'll b waiting to NOT crowd fund your medical/funeral bills when u don't quite style it.

So Nicks a dick head, makes sense. Good luck w that.

Phew, scuse the interruption. Thoughts on using a bike helmet? In the olden days some guy used a moto helmet?!

#30 ·
Oh man I can think of about 10 people immediately offhand who want a larger helmet option. These are also people who fit into the current larges, but want the extra space so they can wear a neoprene head layer to stay warm on the really really cold days.

I'm really surprised the industry hasn't stepped up at all on this! Hell even taking group purchase options and getting 1000 people lined up in advance for a direct to consumer sale...

I have only been able to find a few helmets that fit my dome, and I'm just an XL in motorcycle helmets, nothing all that outlandish!

#33 ·
Fear not, melonheads mas grandes. Predator's shiznit fits true xl heads.

A buddy on the Green Narrows gave me one and its the first time in ten years I haven't had pressure on the center of my forehead and a rash from chafing.

I usually run a 2012'ish wrsi l/xl helmet and a 2013 l/xl sweet rocker fullface. Neither fit. The shiznit is dreamy. In fact I found myself using their pad fit kit to fill up unused space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.