Can a Helmet Company Step Up Already - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #11

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
True, but Jackson hasn't updated the Superfun or Monstar since their original runs in 2007/2010 respectively, they may not have made any money off them.

What annoys me even more is that the sizing of Sweet's fullface is slightly tigher than the Wanderer and Strutter models.
Do they sell a full face kit separately? They appear to simply be screwed onto a normal helmet. I have seen Shred Ready sell their face masks separately.

bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #12
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
EPS foam is single impact rated. Rocker uses EPP foam which is multi impact.

Rocker sizes seem to very year by year. I tried to get one several years ago and it was too tight (L/XL). Got one this year that has room to spare.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #13

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
EPS foam is single impact rated. Rocker uses EPP foam which is multi impact.

Rocker sizes seem to very year by year. I tried to get one several years ago and it was too tight (L/XL). Got one this year that has room to spare.
Yup, my rocker FF from 3 years ago is painful. My Rocker from 2016 fits perfect. Same size. I didn't bother to try on the new fullface, I'm not that pretty anyways.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #14

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
My mistake, the POC is EPP as well, and literally the only option I've found since Grateful Heads was around for my size 8.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #15

Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoody View Post
My mistake, the POC is EPP as well, and literally the only option I've found since Grateful Heads was around for my size 8.

Paul at PS Composites has most of the Grateful Heads molds. He literally has shelves and shelves of helmet molds. Kind of overwhelming actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #16
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Helmet makers must think kayakers don't have much brains. Well, I have lots of brains and want to keep a lot of them. So I have had problems with finding helmets sized big enough. I got a big FSN fullface but had to shave it a little and then add back foam (it had strips with gaps that I filled in). Haven't taken a big hit so I'm not sure it will work...HOPE so.

So what do I use for cold water/weather when I need a thick beanie? Sol. No way to fit one in the fsn. I had an old Prijon with a clip on face bar that I added more modern foam lining to, and used that; but probably sketch, def sketch once the shell started age cracking. Only helmet to fit with a dive hood was an nrs. Open face, but I'm mostly playing, running gates, or doing flat water workouts in the winter. Maybe nrs will step up and make a full face. Is it that much trouble to add a chin bar? How about something to help with rotational hits like we are starting to see for mtb? Kayakers obviously will pony up the bucks since the cool helmets have some sweet prices. I guess full face is not cool. Must be a pussy.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #17

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
I guess full face is not cool. Must be a pussy.
This.
Old 08-03-2016   #18

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
This.
Nick don't be a dick.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #19

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am not sure about the foam that is used in full face mt. biking helmets, but the one I have seems tough enough to take multiple impacts from kayaking. My downhill mt. bike helmet has a really thick plastic shell, and you would have to take a very large hit to the head to damage the foam inside. Since mt. biking is a much larger market than kayaking, I would assume you could find a bigger biking helmet.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #20

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
Nick don't be a dick.
who? Not sure I know you