Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-01-2009   #1
Potomac, Maryland
Paddling Since: 90
CALLING EXPERTS. I'm in trouble...How do I know what boat to use?

Ok, so I owned a Jackson Fun 1 1/2 and i loved it, but now i'm 5'3 and 127 and getting heavier and a bit taller. Dont get me wrong, I'm not fat. I have a lot of build. Anyways, I want to run rivers (the youghs, cheat, new,) and some creeks like the big sandy. But I love to find a nice hole or wave and play. I was considering the new 2fun, but i like to be able to flat water ended and double pump and cartwheel. I was also considering a LL cr 80. I just don't know what to do. Help!

hockeymartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a Liquid Logic Biscuit 55 and it is the best play boat/river play boat I have ever paddled. Biscuit isn't ment for running rivers or do creeking, but that goes for almost all play boats, you just have to be an experienced paddler to handle a boat like this in big waters. I run big water rivers, holes, waves, flatwater play in the Biscuit, awesome boat. 10 out of 10 ranking on this boat.

bmml112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
With technique, you should be able to throw any of those boats down. What you really have to ask yourself, is which direction you want to move in for the next couple seasons. Will you be wanting to creek more and run harder stuff? If so, buy yourself a larger river runner and spend a little time learning how to throw it down. However, if you are looking to throw down big and dedicate your time to perfecting your routine for comps, obviously get something that will facilitate the progression. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it will help you decide what YOU want. You will be able to throw down and river run (as well as some easy creeking) in any of the modern playboats and river-runners. The question is which do you want the boat to do naturally and which are you willing to settle for less on and make up for the shortcomings of the boat through your own paddling.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #4
Potomac, Maryland
Paddling Since: 90
I just want to know what boat I should get that will fit me for what i would like to do
hockeymartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote