Old 09-15-2008   #1
Bethesda, Maryland
Burn vs. Remix (please advise)

I have a Burn and like it, but I am often wishing I had a little more speed. I am thinking of trading it in for a Remix. What would I give up? Play? Turning? Surfing?

mattskayaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I, too, have a Burn and love it. I have paddled the Remix a handful of times and here was my take on it:

Surfs well but nothing like the Burn
Not as stable (especially in the primary)
Boofs well (maybe better?)
Does not track as well
Turning: the Remix pivots better, the Burn carves better.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Remix; it is a very good boat and LL has the plushest outfitting around right now. That being said, I still like my Burn better and would pretty much always choose it over the Remix. In general, I have not had issues with the speed of the Burn that I could not make up for with paddling. If you're set on more speed, you might want to look into the Salto, too.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I had an H:3 up to about a month ago when it broke. I liked the speed compaired to the EZG I was paddling before but I wanted more. I also wanted some edge but more of a displacement hull as well. I found that in the Riot Magnum, I highly recommend it. Just got my spanking new one Friday after several demos from Golden. Only problem with the magnum is they are hard to find right now. Golden couldn't get a new one for me, I had to go to NOC and have one shipped.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It may depend on the desired application. I had a chance to try the Remix this year but haven't tried a Burn. A lot of people use the Burn for creeking and the design has received a lot of laudatory reviews. Does the Burn have creeking features such as a rotomolded seat and thicker plastic? The Remix does not, and I wouldn't think it all that great for most creek boating - although you could certainly use it for such.

The Remix is definitely fast and I thought that aspect made it pretty fun. If you're looking for speed you won't be disappointed. The length made it feel a little unwieldy when things got tight. The length and rocker also made you have to work to get a good boof. I don't think either boat has much play, but any planing haul ought to be able to do some surfing. I think the Remix may be nice for beginners looking for a stable boat, someone doing some long whitewater/touring type runs where speed is important, and bigger water. It was a fun boat to paddle.

Since I haven't tried a Burn, it's a bit of hearsay, but the more balanced specs make more sense to me for most applications. I would think the Burn would be more versatile if you're looking for a creek boat with edges.

My advice (yes, you get what you pay for) is that your river running experience ain't going to change that much if you trade in the Burn for the Remix. People all around the world are using the Burn with great success. I say stick with the Burn and enjoy it.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
For what it's worth;

Length Width Gallons Weight
Remix 59 8'6" 25" 59 40

Medium Burn 8'0" 25" 72.6 39.6
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote