Old 02-02-2010   #1
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
burn vs nomad

I'm lookin to buy a new boat for the upcoming season. I've paddled the 8.1 Nomad since 2004. I absolutely LOVE the Nomad!! but I keep hearing increasing complaints about the crappy Dagger plastic these days. at first I didn't even consider buying anything but a nomad but after hearing soooo many complaints i started looking around. Tried the Jefe but not a big fan... But the new medium sized Burn caught my eye.

So, anyone got any thoughts on the Burn...durability and performance? Design looks great...just wondering about any experiences from other boaters that have paddled the nomad and the burn.

glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I don't think that there is a significant difference in the burn vs. nomad plastic durability. Could be wrong. I've broken my fair share of nomads, and the last one did seem to have a bit weaker plastic, but hard to judge and not scientific by any means.

If durability is a primary concern (is for me) check out the newer eskimo salto, and the prijon pure as well. I'm getting a prijon pure this spring and you can give her a test drive.

I'd also think about warranty. If two boats paddle reasonably well for you, I'd go with the boat that has the better warranty for cracked hull. A couple of years ago, dagger did not warranty cracked hulls. LL and Jackson step up and get you a free or cheaper hull if you crack your boat (depending in timing). A good warranty definitely helps out with cash outlay on creekboats.

Good luck.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #3
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
glcasson21 --

I would say that the Burn and Nomad are both good boats, but the Burn is more of a do all (SUV) design. It is great, and probably better plastic too. The Nomad is a creeker. Which, I like the Habitat and Punk Rocker for.

However, I also would encourage you to consider going with the new Jackson Villain coming out. I think it is going to be an awesome design. And, Jackson has proven to provide excellent warranty and service.

I really prefer Wave Sport and Jacksons best of all, but would rate Pyranha my third choice.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote