Old 05-25-2014   #1
behind your mom, Colorado
Burn III review

Well I picked up a burn III in XL this weekend. I've only been able to find a couple reviews of them so far and a few have been way off in my opinion (one review said the knees have been moved wider when in fact they are more narrow). I'm 6'1 about 210lbs with gear and would consider myself a solid IV- boater. This review is after paddling browns canyon (1900cfs) in it twice. The XL definitely feels like the correct size for me, especially after moving the seat forward.

My first impression of the boat after setting up the outfitting was pretty bad. Basically nothing has noticeably changed since the 2007 era burn that my wife paddles. The seat is kind of a pain in the ass to move. When I removed the screws it looks like a kindergartener drilled the holes for them- they're uneven, not round, and had a bunch of plastic shavings still in them. I moved the seat forward on my second lap and found that the adjustment holes in the seat don't actually fit the screws either. The center holes (how it came) had been drilled out a little bit to accommodate the screws. I ended up having to widdle the back holes out a bit with a pocket knife to be able to move the seat forward. The boat didn't come with any hip shims either, instead it came with a roll of stick on foam. Not a big deal but compared to the ease of outfitting my Jitsu this didn't feel like a boat that should MSRP for $1100. So much for "Made in Great Britain with pride" or whatever it says on the back of the boat.

Aside from that I really like how it paddles. I bought it because I wanted a boat with an edge that tracked better and was faster than my stomper but still had a good amount of volume. It was noticeably better in all categories. The narrow knees made the boat feel a little more difficult to roll at first but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I was really surprised at the micro eddies I could catch, and even catch late and stay in with the burn. There was quite a bit of swirly water and the boat tracked great through it. Zoom flume felt pretty big to me and the boat paddled great through it, the rockered bow was noticeable in a lot of areas and I would say the boat boofs almost as well as the stomper.

The pyranha outfitting is comfortable just a little archaic IMO.

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #2
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Why didn't just stick with Daggers sweet outfitting and get a mamba?

Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #3
behind your mom, Colorado
Originally Posted by Dman987 View Post
Why didn't just stick with Daggers sweet outfitting and get a mamba?
too similar to the stomper. i was between a zen and a burn and the xl burn is 89gal vs 75 of large zen. Plus the burn has more rocker.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #4
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Had a zen 75 last year and the mamba 8.6 is faster with my weight 225# without gear. I think both the burn and zen is narrower up front than the mamba though, makes for easier rolling for sure.
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #5
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'd love to try out that New Burn after you put some miles on her...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #6
Silverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I can't find the thread, but I believe it was on BT and about a month or so ago. The guy also had some quality control issues with his new Burn. It was leaking water, and he discovered one of the bolts had been cross-threaded. Instead of fixing it, whoever had worked on it at the factory just cranked the bolt at hard as they could, which did not get it snug (hence the leaking). You can't NOT notice such a thing, since he said it was cranked super tight. The owner had to do a bunch of work to fix it, and said it was a major PITA.

Sound like Pyranha needs to get their shit together. As someone else noted in that thread, the banner hanging in the Jackson factory says "Build It Like It's Yours." Says something imo.
"This river don't go to Aintry."
gdtrfb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #7
Hey, how would you compare the v3 to the v2 Burn? Mainly I'm curious about it for river running and surfing. More for a high water boat than a creeker. Though who knows, that might change. I loved the v2 Burn I had for high water and surfing fun, but love my Karma more for creeking (other than they keep cracking - 2 boats in the last 12-13 months).

All the reviews I've seen for the v3 Burn have talked about creeking vs more river running. Looking at the hull, at RMA I'm not sure how it'd compare for surfing. That said, it fits my 6'9" frame much much better than the v2 did, I can actually use the bulkhead vs foam.
"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #8
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I love the new burn. I've been in the 2nd gen. Lg for 3 seasons and was stoked on the new one on the first run. I'm paddling the new large at 185 lbs. and I feel like I'm riding right where I want to be on the water. Anyone much bigger or people that prefer big boats might want to go with the Xl. It has some edges and needs to be driven like all the burns, but compared to the 2nd burn the edges seem to grab less when you don't want them to and more when you do. I like how it is narrower as well. It feels like it is faster, rolls easier, and I fit in the boat better. The thing loves to boof, carve into eddy's, and surfs really well. Amazing big water boat. Best Burn yet in my opinion.

idayak is offline   Reply With Quote