Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 04-15-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Bungy flip lines

Just got off the phone with the madcatr, and he has inspired me (as well as Ihowemt) to make some bungy flip lines. Do people usually run one or two? I'm thinking 1'' tubular webbing but not quite sure how much or what to fill it with. I have access to lots of cord and can't decide between 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2''

Thanks

Old 04-15-2011   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What are you going to sew them with? I hope you have an industrial machine, because a regular machine won't do it. Believe me, I tried when I added more bungee inside mine. I ended up doing it by hand. 3/8" bungee, 1" tubular. Length is determined by how long you need it to be for perfect flip length once you've attached it and you are reflipping a boat. You'll want the bungee shorter than the length of the frame (so it is under tension a bit and stays taught), anything longer and it will sag. Trial and error my friend.

Keep in mind I'm not completely thrilled with mine, the tension from the bungee can make getting into place hard if you are rocking and rolling.

Old 04-15-2011   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If I understand your concept correctly, it sounds similar to an Easy-Uphaul used for windsurfing.
Easy-Uphaul! Effortless uphauling for windsurfing, sailboarding

I've made my own and avoided the sewing machine by simply knotting the webbing scrunched down around the bungee at a point that gives you stretch without bungee failure, probably 25% more webbing than bungee. It is also easy to create a bungee loop at the end giving you something to initially grab. Additional knots along the length will give you more "handholds".

Not something I've tried with Supercat, but i'm beginning to think about it.
Old 04-15-2011   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yes, very similar to an uphaul with one exception. You secure it at both ends, so the length is important. An uphaul is sewn at the ends also, I can't picture banking on knots to hold that snug. All I had to sew by hand was the end spot of the bungee, it took a little bit but wasn't bad with a thimble and huge needle. I have no knots, no need for them in this setup. An uphaul uses them predominantly because you walk your hands up the uphaul as you pull the sail out of the water.
Old 04-15-2011   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Interesting. If I get this right, the fact that it's on the bottomside and the bungee keeps it taught, keeps it from snagging or becoming an entrapment.

Is the knot a problem because of the size bungee you would need to double up inside the webbing? The strength of an uphaul is usually not the problem, just the leverage. I don't know the name of the knot used, but it is difficult to imagine stitching to be stronger.
Old 04-15-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hopefully, one of you craftsmen / craftswomen will show the rest of us a photo of your bungee flip line.

very interesting concept from the description.
Old 04-15-2011   #7

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
OK - I give. I think I get the concept but just to clarify things; what's a bungy flip line?
Old 04-15-2011   #8
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I get it now, it took me a second. Lhowe did you use a sheathed bungie cord or surgical tubing? Do you think this would be effective for a gearboat or only a day rig?

I would think you could simplify by hyper extending tubing inside the webbing, tying an overhand loop at each end under tension, slap some 'biners on there and you're done. Sliding rubber into 1" tubular doesn't sound easy, but it would be a cool setup.
Old 04-15-2011   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmfnL View Post
Sliding rubber into 1" tubular doesn't sound easy, but it would be a cool setup.
Push a stiff wire or maybe a tent pole through the webbing, attach the bungie, pull back through the webbing.
Old 04-15-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
My first thought was "bungee flip line? Why would anyone use a bungee cord to right a boat?" The bungee fits inside tubular webbing and the webbing is compressed onto the cord, which keeps the webbing short when not in use to avoid entrapment/entanglement. It is connected at two points to improve stability in re-flip which is why length is indeed crucial to gain the proper balance and leverage. The cool thing is you grab it, flip, and it retracts automatically. Sizing may be tough and the cord pulling on you as you're positioning may be tricky but I'm willing to give it a shot. My grandfather has a commercial sewing machine and I have some of the big needles AIRE puts in their repair kits, but I am thinking some good knots would hold well enough to start with. Next question is continuous loop or carabiners on each end clipped to frame or D rings...

Here is what I bought at REI for testing:
4 ft of 1'' tubular webbing and about 1.5 ft of 1/4'' elastic cord

-I figure I can get at least 2 to 3 times the amount of webbing to retract onto the cord, maybe even more but I still need to decide on 1/4 or 3/8'' cord. Half inch would probably be overkill and maybe too stout to allow me to stretch the line into position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00072.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	3444