Old 07-01-2010   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bug Protection

I did a search as I thought I had seen some threads on this in the past, but failed to find anything.

Whats your best bug fighting setup?

I am heading on the Middle Fork next week and heard it can be bad. I am gonna get a head net for sure, and then want to come up with a good repellent scheme.

What works best for you?

Spray on? Lotion? Any brands specifically? What ratio of DEET?

I also heard buy some straight DEET and then put it on a bandanna around your neck - does that work?

Thanks in advance...

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #2
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I know 100% deet burns if put on skin. Although it sure as hell keeps bugs away.

LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've done the Middle Fork in July & September and never needed to use any bug protection. Never had any problems with biting bugs of any kind on the Middle Fork or Main Salmon. I've used the head net and various kinds of DEET on Deso with some success, but then Deso skeeters are notoriously awful. I'd say just your garden variety bug stuff would be adequate to take along. Not sure that you'll need a head net or bug suit.
Have fun. The MF is gorgeous. Don't forget your fly rod.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
A teaspoon of vinager will keep them off you for at least two days. I've used this method often and keep a bottle of vinager in my kitchen box. Best preventative on the market. Takes about a half hour to start working. I usually do a shot right before I head out of Vernal.

Warning.......if you take too much you will throw up or possibly have problems catching your breath. I watched a high school kid take a swig once........ he turned blue.....almost passed out......then projectile puked like nothing I'd seen before.:mrgree n:
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #5
I do a few things to prepare for an area I know will be bad. First, I get a can of Permethrin which is the treatment for clothing. you just spray it on any article of clothing you want, it's the same stuff as BuzzOff but only lasts 6-7 washings. I generally will do a long sleeve shirt and hat. My favorite spray is Ultrathon. made by 3M and developed by the military back in the day for jungle troops, low absorption for long exposure. works great. those two things usually do a good job.

last year on Deso someone brought a Thermacell. I was skeptical but they really work well. not really something for moving around but we put one on one of the kitchen tables and it cleared the whole area. takes a little butane cartridge to heat a pad with some chemical in it expelling it into the air.

I've heard good things about some of the new ones like SkinSmart from Coleman but haven't tested them in really bad areas. Those little personal blue fan things with the pad in them, can't remember who makes them, actually work ok too if your not moving a whole lot and it's not windy. like hanging it from a chair.

the permethrin and ultrathon generally work for me though and don't like wearing a head net unless it's epically bad.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #6
Louisville, Colorado
I haved used "juniper breeze" lotion (Bath and Body works) with great success when other chemical products were not effective. You can get juniper extract oils. Vinegar and garlic are good.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #7
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Use alot of garlic in your meals
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #8
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Vitamin B complex works very well for me. I take the 1200 mg. Twice a day. Does not work for every one, but if it does work for you, you will be a very happy camper.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote