Old 07-13-2009   #11
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I got this welder from Harbor Freight and Tools. On sale until the 20th.

Dan, Any idea if Fluid is going to make a bigger Solo? The Jefe is about 80 Gallons and I do kinda like the 90gl Grande. I don't know if I would want to go below 80.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #12
Indian Hills, Colorado
fluid boats kick ass! and their customer service is top notch. i have the large solo and it boats like a bigger boat. you are more than welcome to come giv' er a try. i am the one who broke my solo on obj and gavin (rep) from the south east hooked me up with a brand new solo within 4 days of original contact.

Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #13
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 84
Originally Posted by DanielGlauser View Post
Howdie folks,

Thought I'd chime in here and say hi. I'm the western US rep for Fluid.

Along the front range both Alpenglow and CKS sell Fluid boats. For some reason Alpenglow is not stocking Solos right now so I suggest giving CKS a call to see if they have any boats in stock. I know they have been selling Solos pretty quickly so I do suggest calling ahead.

Yes, it is possible to break a Solo. And a few folks have this year. Didn't hear about the break on OB and would love to get more info on that. If the owner of the boat gets in touch with us we might be able to help him/her out. Overall we've had very few boats break this year. I spent a year representing one of the companies that makes blow molded boats, helped manage the team and helped out with warranties. Every boat I delivered to a team member in Colorado broke on the seams. When the seams were good the boats were nearly indestructable. Every company, every manufacturing process has their issues.

I like to show folks the inside of the Solo. The outfitting makes long, wide connection points with the hull. I feel supporting the hull well with the outfitting is a differentiaor and makes the boats a bit more durable than the next guy's. Not indistructable though.

As I mentioned in my email above we have the seat wedges break in some of the boats. It hasn't been a huge issue but is common enough that we're doing something about it. We replace all the pieces with a reinforced version. All of the 2009 boats we have in stock have this reinforced piece. The new pieces seem to hold up well, I've only heard of one breaking. Again, every boat company has their occasional issues.

Instead of offering my opion on the differences between the Jefe and the Solo, why don't you try one out. I have a demo boat that you can take out. No matter what others say I find spend a little time and see if something works. We feel happy customers build business.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want to arrange a demo. I'm located in Castle Rock just outside of Denver. Will probably run Black Rock after work on Wednesday if you'd like to join.

Western US Fluid Representative
Danial...Yo. E- here. My boat is shot. 3 new cracks formed on the Sssizzle sunday. I'll destroy, I mean demo the Solo on the BS this coming weekend. Camping at the same spot (Peterson)

E- 970 405 8002
ericnourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #14
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've been paddling the fluid solo for several years now and I have to say it's probably the only creek boat I will ever use. The durability, boofablitity, and maneuverability, have made it an ideal boat for paddling colorado class 5 mank every day after work and on the weekends.

The downside to this boat is the weight. I like to think of it like this: the solo generally does weigh more than your average creekboat, so it can be a pain while hiking and portaging, BUT - if you are a decent paddler and you want a boat that has bomber plastic, a long life, and an unmatched warranty - it's worth carrying the extra couple pounds around.

As previously mentioned, the outfitting is being upgraded in 2010, but the current outfitting is still good to go. I've broken several of those "hip wedges" that hold the seat to the shell, but Gavin has been really good about sending me new ones whenever I've needed them.

You can not beat the fluid customer service. I work in a kayak shop and have dealt with people from every company in the industry and no other company has been as impresive as Fluid.

As for the question about volume, I think that the large solo has the perfect amount of volume (@ 75lbs). It is a little less than the industry standard, but the way the rocker is designed allows for less volume, which increases maneuverablity. I think the whole "big boy creek boat" fad is going to die out soon and people will start paddling boats that are designed to fit them better instead of boats that are massive enough to punch any hole.

All in all, just try it out. It sounds like Dan is willing to hook anyone up with a demo near denver - definitely take him up on that if you can.

I hope some of this info helps. I'll see ya on the water.

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote