Old 02-26-2016   #1
Braaap vs Mullet

Alright this is driving me nuts. I've been checking out the stats for the Braaap and the Mullet and I can see the differences, but I can't figure out what it will translate to on the water. They both seem to be basically the same boat with different weight limits. Is there anything I'm missing? Has anyone paddled both of them?

slaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go with the Braap, just cause of the name, it's like mountain biking, you roost a sweet berm, BRAAP!!

Braap, Braap, BrRaaaap!!!
God I miss riding down hill.

"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #3
I have paddled both. I am 5'10" 180 lbs. The BRAAPP is Narrower so a bit faster and it carries it's speed through turns better. I really like it for "slaloming around" because every eddy you catch feels like it is accelerating you forward. You can pivot turn it but to really squirt it I need a good eddy line and good technique. It is fun to splat and surfs well. It is the perfect Slaughterhouse, Numbers boat. I have paddled it on Gore a couple times. For me it is fine but for example the meat line at gore feels a bit less controlled, (the professor and the double boof felt the same). I mainly paddled in on shoshone.

The Mullet I have only paddled the prototype that was around last summer and only at the Glenwood wave and Salida park. It felt more stable. The day I tried it in Glenwood all the other people preferred it for the stability. It is way easier to squirt and splat. It was also great to catch the wave from the eddy in Glenwood at 18,000. All you could do once you got there was front surf but you could do it all day. The Rocker break is noticeably more distinct which makes me think that the stern would not be prone to grabbing like the BRAAP. That is the big difference with the RPM is that you don't get back endered driving through stuff. At the time, I preferred the more precise feel of the Narrower BRAAPP. The MULLET is fast but squatted through turns. Now I think I am ready to have a bit of an easier time squirting. Who knows.

Anyway, not extensive experience with the Mullet but the two boats feel different.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Anyone remember the new wave sleek?

I've never seen a mullet but the pics definitely remind me a bit of that awesome old school boat from I think around '94. Was the boat me and many others learned to squirt in. Great jimmy Snyder design
deadahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
LL has a nice explanation of the differences between the two boats under the FAQ on the Mullet. I hope they get one out to their demo centers.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
I'm so pleased to see a return to the down-river play theme of boats. Hopefully we get some big water this spring to try these new boats (and an old RPM) out!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by deadahead View Post
I've never seen a mullet but the pics definitely remind me a bit of that awesome old school boat from I think around '94. Was the boat me and many others learned to squirt in. Great jimmy Snyder design
Do you mean the New Wave Sleek? Definitely a game changer...I remember wanting one back when it came out when I saw someone doing squirts so easily. It was in the last group of playboats with displacement hulls before planning hulls took over.

haha...its hard to even find a picture...only one I could find with a quick search...

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote