Old 05-13-2011   #21
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
OK, I'll play. Actually, when I am paddle boating I use Carve's application. When I am rigged for overnights I use Wild's. Carve's is quick and easy to explain to the crew and is easily found. When I am over nighting I can keep the rope more accessible to me in the center of the boat using Wild's method.

Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #22
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
A bowline is an excellent knot for attachment to the frame/d-ring, as is a figure eight. A bowline is the easiest knot to untie no matter the stresses put to it as far as I'm aware. The simple bow---line securing knot that I was referring to is what I described in a less than patient way--sorry for that. Two separate knots, the former tied and left in place for the most part--the other, tied and re-tied as needed to secure the boat.

Bowline bags are my main pet peeve as they are slow and not necessary at all in my opinion. Look at the commercial trips--how many of them use them? Not any that I've seen--course there are probably exceptions.

Sorry for the 'rant' a few nights ago, thanks for your patient response.

Originally Posted by cpollema View Post
I thought a bowline knot was a fine choice for securing a rope to a D ring. You ranted on about how to coil a rope, but never tied your rope to your boat...OOPS. Rope problems almost always have multiple solutions, maybe you think a follow through eight is a better choice? Is it safe and effective? If so, great use it, and share the idea with the group to give everyone else options. I like this forum for sharing ideas. Your idea and the way you gave it really didn't help me out at all. So maybe the next time you've had a 'very long day', don't post.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #23
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I am doing the same as Osprey. I have two d-rings on the bow, one is close to my floor and on is on top of my bow. I attached the end of the rope with a lockable carabiner to the lower d-ring. Then I attach my rope in a bag with another none lockable carabiner to the higher d-ring for easier access. When I pull to shore, I grab the bag and pull out as much as I need rope to the stake. I never unravel the whole bag.

Reviving a very old thread for a specific question

So how do you tie off on shore, a taut line hitch or bowline on a bight???
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #24
I do neither.... Take the line around whatever I am tying off to, rock, tree, bush, then double the line over and tie a prusik around the standing line. Can throw a biner through the loop and the standing line for security if you want. Then it's easily adjustable.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #25

Thanks for the info. But I'm having a hard time picturing what you're saying. Could be I just got off the water and my brain is sun-baked...
Old 06-14-2014   #26
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
He is not talking about Sat....never mind or pins an clips or Galaxy coolers. So what's the problem?

Tears of laughter!
funrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #27
behind your mom, Colorado
isnt this the kayak forum? How do I rig one on my creek boat?
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #28
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I actually have one of these for my kayak. It's 15 feet of skinny spectra in a small stuff sack meant for flip lines. I've vet to use it, but it's for tying the boat to shore where it might otherwise get bumped back in. I've seen boats run rapids unmanned by getting bumped out of a pile after scouting.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #29
Back to the question, other than Osprey who's offered some advice. If you pull some rope out of a bag (leaving the rest inside) then by necessity it's on a bight after wrapping a loop around a rock or tree. So taut line hitch on a night? Seems kind of clumsy and maybe not super secure???
Old 06-15-2014   #30
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Taut line for me.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote