Old 04-13-2011   #1
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997

Anyone use Muck boots or Bogs in camp? If so, what brand & model did you use, and did you like them. I'm thinking about getting some for use in camp on spring & fall trips. Keep my tootsies warm & dry when I'm down by the water to load gear/get stuff from boat/pee, etc.
I've looked at some online, but some models seem to have better non-slip tread than others.
Thanks for any info you can give.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have some wellington type boots I bring on nearly every trip. Not only for near/in the river, but also for keeping my shoes dry walking around in grass and such. They are sweet! The only downside is how large they are for packing. They also cause my feet to sweat a bit, make sure they've got a flock lining for easy putting on and taking off. I guess if you don't have a liner, they'll dry a bit better but I've never had a problem with them feeling wet.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I got a pair of rain boots from a department store. They worked well on The Grand and not too bulky. I previously had a pair of irrigation boots from the army surplus store, but they were a bit of an overkill. The tread was too much and collected mud, and a hard rubber sole that wasn't as friendly in term of traction on the frame.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Rain Boots |

Oh so many stylish ones to choose from!
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
several years ago, I got a pair of these

NRS Boundary Shoe

and have been happy with them for canoe trips during low water when wading and dragging has to be done.

very warm, not a lot of ankle support but so far they have done the job
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #6
Springfield, Oregon

I take my knee-high Bogs on fall, winter, spring overnight trips if the weather is looking cold. Also the footwear of choice when guiding in the Brooks Range, AK.

A bit bulky but the feet love them.
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #7
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Extra Tuffs are the boot of choice for almost all the Fishermen who are sliding around on wet decks and bucking swells. They have both neoprene and thermal options, as well as a steel toe line for those OSHA moments. Also the same company makes these blue socks that wick the moisture away from you feet. Well worth the 12 bucks extra. Last I checked between $80-120 but they will give you several solid seasons.
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #8
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Muck boots arctic, good for all around and at camp
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #9
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Rain Boots |

Oh so many stylish ones to choose from!
Oh man ...... now I want the ones that look like dinosaurs!!!!!
Wow, that's a lot of boots. I'm curious about the Croc and Keen brands. I guess I'll go down to Cabelas and try some on for fit and comfort. I don't plan to wear them on my boat, just in camp. I'd like some that are fairly easy on & off, and have good traction on dirt & mud. I can't decide between mid calf or over the calf. Unfortunately, God blessed me with fat calves that make boots a tight fit. For years I've worn Crocs with/without heavy wool socks in camp, but want a more waterproof shoe.
I'm glad to see that many of you deem your boots worthy of packing along, even if they are bulky. That means you really like & use them.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #10
Summit County, Colorado
I have a pair of Hunter wellies that I originally purchased for wearing to work on snowy days. I saw some rafting buddies wearing their wellies on early spring/late fall trips and started wearing mine for rafting as well. I think their's had steel toes and were definitely more bulky, however my Hunters have been great! I also have gotten several compliments while on the river because they're kinda cute (that's a rafter chick for ya - mine are red). I've never had problems with my feet getting too sweaty because the inside is lined with some sort of fancy material that "breathes". You can also purchase removable liners for extra warmth. Hunter is the original manufacturer of the true rain boot (out of Scotland) and I've found mine to be bomber. I also like how tall they are - they hit right at the bottom of my knee. The best thing about them is that I don't have to do a long jump to get from our cataraft to the bank to avoid mud and the cold river water. I can just jump right off between the tubes and trudge right through the mud and water. Even better - when I get home I just wipe them off with a rag and they're good as new to be worn to work again. They also pack down well in a dry bag. You can scrunch them up and they just go right back to their original shape when you take them out.

summitraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote