Old 01-13-2011   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Boat Trouble

So I was shaping a foam block for my Liquid logic Scooter and decided to move the seat forward an inch or two. I noticed that when I was tightening the bolts on the cockpit they never fully tightened and perhaps were striped. For those not familiar with this boat the seat slides forward and back in the boat and a screw is on the outside of the boat with a slot on the seat inside the boat with a nut underneath. You move the seat to your liking and tighten the screw outside the boat thereby the nut inside pulls upward and secures the seat. The problem is the nut on the inside is also inside of the seat which is one molded piece making replacing the nut or screw I believe impossible. I am asking for input on how I can solve this so my seat will be secure. If anybody has a similar boat with the same design and could help me out I would be very thankful. I don't want to buy a whole new boat I plan on trying to learn some play boating and feel good in this boat so far. Thanks

rodgers712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Not all of the nuts would have stripped at the same time. You need to find the access to the nuts and hold them in place so they actually get purchase. Or maybe you are missing the nuts altogether.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #3
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You probably unscrewed the bolt too much so that the nut fell off. If you unscrew just enough to loosen, but not drop off the nut, you can move the seat and tighten back up easily. If the nut comes off, you need to find the small slot in the seat that you can get to the nut through. Peel back the hip pads... there is usually a hole in the seat to get to the nut. Be prepared for some difficultly... the small slots make it so the procedure would be simple for elves with pencil thin fingers, but cumbersome for humans. To find the nut, you may need to tilt and shake the boat to get it to come out.

Best luck I have had is to hold the nut in one hand and a screwdriver in the other. With two fingers, try and get the nut on the head of the screw by feel (hard to see inside) and screw on the bolt to get the bolt to mate up with the other hand.

Note: I have not seen the attachment of this specific boat, but I've done this on many other boats and they have all been similar.

Good luck.
deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote