Old 04-25-2011   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Boat suggestions for girlfriend

Alright, so I'm looking to get my girl a different boat this season. She has a Jackson Star, and and old inazone, but is looking for something else. I'm thinkin a something more along the lines of a river runner that can play a bit, she's not really into the creeking scene so that's out... but not totally sold on the little playboats either. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinkin maybe something along the lines of the Jackson Fun series?

btw she's 5'5" and about 115lb... so it's gotta fit a smaller gal...

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My wife paddles a Liquidlogic Crossriver 125 and she loves it. The boat handles river runs upwards of IV and V-. nice chines, easy to roll, and fast hull keeps on a wave nicely. Little harder to throw ends as there is a bit of volume in the ends.

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #3
The Bitterroot, Montana
Depends on how much surfing. I think somthing like a Mamba, small Burn or Little Hero would be super confidence inspireing and are some easy to roll and stable river runners that can also surf. More freestyle oriented but still stable would be somthing along the lines of a WS Fuse, fun series, or the new LL Freeride looks cool too. Out of all these boats I personally would go with a Mamba first and a Hero second.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm about the same size as your girlfriend (though a little shorter) and started out in a Wave Sport Siren. Old boat, I know...but it is a good little river runner. It's longer than a play boat, which inspired confidence, but still has edges, so I learned to control those (rolling was a little hard to learn). It surfs well and you can also cartwheel easily since the bow and stern can slice through the water.
Finolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #5
Summit County, and Idaho
I am 5'2 and 110 and I also started in a wavesport siren. It was longer and the edges caught all the time.
I upgraded to a wavesport fuse 48 last year and I really like it. Although its heavier than the jackson boats.
Its a bit harder to roll at first, but gives me great stability on the river! Its a great all around river runner and as soon as I get BETTER I will be able to play in it too
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
She paddles a Star but isn't sold on little playboats?

I would have her demo the Wavesport Fuse. On the more conservative side the Mamba is also great boat.
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #7
Golden, Colorado
Look inwards and you will find your answer.

Which boat do you want to add to your quiver but cannot justify the cost because you don't really need another boat but but it would be cool to have a _________.

Fill in the blank and that is the boat you get her. I'm getting my wife a Pyranha Ammo, size M. It will fit me perfectly and I've always wanted a boat like that to spice up class IV+/V-. Don't want to use my full-on creekboat on the runs I am super comfortable with.

Just remember to ask when you borrow it and everything will be fine.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #8
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Big volume planing hull. Hero, diesel, ammo/burn, remix. Demo as many as you can see what she likes.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #9
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Liquid Logic Lil Joe! Planning hull and edges for surfing, and has the volume to serve as a river runner for the lighter paddle.

If your interested I'll hook you up, mega cheap!

Liquidlogic Lil' Joe

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote