Old 09-02-2010   #11
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by brasscap View Post
Might want to rethink this portion of your statement.

A good 6" barrel pump can be $150-200. Use anything less, say a $25 special, and your boat-mates will have all of the beverage gone before you even launch if you have to inflate from flat.
My assumption was that everyone has a barrel pump - need something to pump the boat back up in case of leaks on the water.

desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #12
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Try Shop Vac

I routinely use a 2 gallon Craftsman shop-vac ($25-$30) to inflate and deflate rafts. It works quite well off of my Coleman 400 watt inverter (~$40). To inflate, just attach the hose to the outlet socket on the shop-vac. The NRS rubber valve adapter fits perfectly into the shop-vac hose, and works perfectly on the military valves and Leafield valves of the rafts that I use. I purchased an adapter for the Halkey-Roberts valves of the one inflatable kayak that I own. I find this system to be fast, very reliable, and much less expensive than the more "high-powered" blower/inverter combinations.

Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #13
Swiftwater, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1975
I like the multiple uses of the inverters, wouldn't get anything under 1200 watts with direct hookup to the battery I use mine for all kind of power tools, air compressors, party blenders,lights etc.
RES-Q-TEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #14
naturita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I use a Coleman rechargeable blower, its small and will blow up a 16ft kat many times in under 4 min per tube. The cost is approximately 30 bucks. A few things i have learned about them;
1) the battery that comes with them is lame, get a new one with more amp hours from a battery supplier (~10 bucks)
2) you have to top off the tubes with a good pump.
3) you can have a beverage, get your tubes ~90% aired, & not be tethered to anything (other than your beverage) w/o braking a sweat.
5) it sucks & blows
4) did mention that the battery it comes with is lame?
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain
grumpyrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #15
Wellington, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I use a 1000W inverter with a 7 amp leaf blower I picked up at Home Depot for about $30. Need to top it off a bit, but a cheap alternative to the big red.

outdoordad42 is offline   Reply With Quote