Old 10-31-2010   #1
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
blaster vs. power stove

been thinking of getting a blaster type stove.

the partner blaster is a fine stove that i have used before but it's a little tough to simmer with (i.e. perc coffee), a bit noisy and more expensive.
i like how its heavy duty and stable on the ground and in the sand.
seems pretty good in the wind.
has a higher btu output, too.

who has some first hand knowledge about the woodland power stove?
The Power Stove - Woodland Outdoor Products - Power Stoves, Cook Stoves, Camp Stoves, Outdoor Stoves, for outdoor cooking.
i have never seen one.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
It is most excellent. I think it has less output than partner, but I've never been less than thrilled in how fast this boils water. I don't have one, a friend who I do lots of trips with does, and the turn-down is awesome. It also packs nice and compact/flat. I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one for a while, hopefully next year.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I don't own but but have a friend that has one. It works great and is actually very adjustable. Boils fast and is adjustable enough to simmer as well.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
woodland stove

I purchased one when they first came out.

I have used the Blasters and they really do heat up thing fast but are loud.

I like the look of the woodland stove and I like the way it folds up for packing and I like the all stainless steel construction. So I ordered one based on looks and that was a mistake.

My stove has never heated up right. Weak flame. I emailed the factory and got no response.

Bottom line is woodland stove has a lot going for it on looks and it does break down for packing, but when it comes to the burner heating water, it sucks big time. I do not recommend this stove.

I never use mine so it was wasted money. Camp Chef has a low pressure single burner that might do the job better. Not the hi heat of the blaster, but should do the job.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #5
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I've used one several times and have one on order for myself right now. I haven't used the blaster, but from my experience, the woodland stove cranks. The gas is adjustable and it also has a little "key" that you can place in the tube to switch to simmer mode.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #6
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I have first hand knowledge of both and own the Woodland. I like both but like the Woodland better. The size, weight, and noise of the Partner was my determining factor. Unlike the previous poster, whom I think has a faulty stove, the Woodland works great, much quieter, and has proven reliable over several years.
It consumes exactly half the propane of a partner and produces exactly half the Btu's.
Cook time is listed at 7 hours, full blast on a 20 lb. cylinder, the Partner is 3.5. I will say that if you want to simmer, the Woodland will go lower but will still blacken pots if you don't have a blue flame. That said, it works great for cooking large pots that take up too much room on the stove or heating coffee water or dish water quickly.
I have an interesting argument with a friend that has a Partner that his heats more quickly. I'm sure this is true, but the loss of heat is much greater as well. The Woodland seems more concentrated and we still haven't done a side by side comparison. River people are gear freaks to the extreme. Lets say you have a gallon of water at 60F, it takes 152 Btu to raise each pound of water to 212F. (212-60=152) A gallon is 8.33 pounds so that is 1,266 Btu getting to 212F. They will both handle the task adequately.
This same friend likes me to bring mine when we go light on early season trips. Hope this helps. It's been a slow day at work.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #7
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Got one. Love it. Go to Fisheries Supply in Seattle for the best price ever.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #8
Parachute, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
#8 for the Woodland Power Stove

Have used both and bought the Woodland because:
- Can simmer easier
- Lighter ( A LOT )
- Compact
- Still heats the dishwater very fast

I do not think you can go wrong with either, just figure out what you want the unit to do and pick that one.
Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #9
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought a Woodland when I first saw them a couple of years ago. My 1st stove would not come apart after use. I contacted Woodland and they quickly sent me a new stove. No questions asked. Great service in my book.

I also don't like the noise of a blaster. They will heat water quicker, but not enough difference to matter to me.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #10
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I went with this one....
Single Propane Burners, Stainless Steel Square Propane Burner

It has an excellent regulator that will smoothly adjust from full blast to just a simmer. Runs quietly. I modified it by cutting off the legs and re-attaching them with bolts and wing nuts, now it folds up for storage..

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote