Mountain Buzz banner

big trip - Can not decide which boat?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RiverWrangler 
#1 ·
going to peru to paddle two class iv- v ,,,, 4-5 day self supports. I have the option to get an el jeffe or a haus. I have not paddled to many displacement hulls. Last season I paddled the lil joe quite a bit, not a true creeker but it felt good. Want to feel comfortable, The Haus is the bigger version of the lil joe-- yet I feel the Jeffe is a better boat for this trip. These rio's usually run about 1000-1500 cfs.

Basically the choice between chines and rounder edges. Plus I will only have probably two runs on gore and one warm up river in peru from now until than (Early Oct) which boat what do y'all think

#3 ·
If you are going to self support then the only obvious choice between those two boats is the Jefe. The Hoss is a great boat that will, but its got a much smaller stern and would be quite stern squirty. The Jefe will possibly take a bit of getting used to, but its plenty stable and friendly. It is, after all, designed to be a boat that will allow you to forget about the boat and worry about the rapids and staying safe. It also has the creek seat in it, which will make putting gear in the stern much easier (the back of the creek seat is much lower which gains you access to the rear end of the boat). So yes, for hard rivers that you need to self support, the Jefe is the obvious choice between those two boats. You might also consider a DragoRossi Mafia, Liquid Logic Gus, Riot Magnum, Fluid Solo, or Pyranha M3 or Micro. All of those boats are similar but offer a different feel if the Jefe doesn't feel like the answer. Good luck and have an awesome trip.

JH

#4 ·
Mayham is right. The Jefe will suit you much better for self support trips. IMO it is extremely easy to get used to even if switching from a more planing hull. The Jefe also holds weight like a champ, remains predictable and scores big points with me for self support action because of the low profile seat with attachment points and storage below the actual seat. Remeber to keep the heaviest objects closest to your seat. This helps minimize the back loop and keep your turning efficient. Have fun in Peru. I'm jealous as hell.
Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.