Old 09-18-2013   #1
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
better boat for technical cl 4..JK S-Hero or Nomad 8.5?

Which is more stable,easier to roll,and a greater confidence booster for getting into harder water?
Thank you.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I like the Nomad more than the Hero, but that is a matter of opinion and others may disagree.... the Hero is a river running creeker and the Nomad is a dedicated creek boat. A strong paddler will be fine in either.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
I'm a pretty shitty boater, but I couldn't hold a line in the Nomad to save my life the one weekend I tried it. I may have been a little on the heavy side for the boat (180 in an 8.1?), but every time I tried to ferry across moderate current I would get turned around and end up going where I was trying to avoid. It also doesn't like to be dropped into holes sideways, which I inadvertently do quite a bit, and the softer edges make extraction a little more difficult.

The SH is what I paddle now and it is more forgiving of my bad form. Much more primary stability. It is a slow mofo though, especially after punching a hole. But it does turn quite easily. It seems very sensitive to where you put your weight over center, but once you get it dialed and are familiar with how it handles it's predictable.

I agree with lmyers, it comes down to personal preference and what you'll be paddling. Best confidence booster imo is playpark practice and then taking the playboat down some easier class IV. Once you're comfortable there, any big boat will take any remaining anxiety away.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote