Old 02-01-2015   #1
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Best year USED 4Fun?

Looking to get back into boating and am pretty honed in on a used Jackson 4Fun. I've read in 2007 the boat was redesigned for better surfing and flat spinning and easier rolling...

*Is there a way to tell years by the outfitting?

Any folks out there know these boats well enough to advise, please chime in.

*Also, what's a fair price for a lightly used 4Fun?

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #2
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Last 2 digits on the serial # say the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Avoid any old blue plastic, I don't remember the years, but they had a bad batch of plastic and I recall quite a few "defective" Fun's out there.

A fair price for a Fun that's a couple seasons old would be $350-550.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #4
Keep it right side up
Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a black 4fun that I special ordered brand new. Probably only had it on the river 10 or 15 times. Might be looking to get rid of it. Have the sweet cheeks, happy feet and also have foam for the front. I didn't like the happy feet they were to soft and when I would try to roll I would push one of my feet forward and my knee would come out of the brace. Solid boat just decided that I am not suppose to be in a kayak.
swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The second generation (2007-2009) was a huge improvement over the first generation. I paddled both generations in the SuperFun and much prefer the 2nd generation that I still paddle today.

My kids (12/14) both paddled 2nd generation 2Fun/Fun and ended up moving to the 3rd generation (2010-2014) 2Fun/Fun. The outfitting was improved and the knee area was brought in a little, not as wide as 2nd generation - and that made a huge difference them (tall/skinny).

I paddled a 4th generation (2015- ) in the pool the other night. It's similar in size to the SuperFun and I liked it. I need to spend more time in it before I can determine if it's worth the expense to upgrade. It is definitely more of a river runner than the 3rd generation, better or worse depending on your preference.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 2nd or 3rd generation. If want to do more playboating go for 3rd gen. If you want more river runner and less play then go for 2nd gen.

$350-$500 for used 2nd gen
$450-$600 for used 3rd gen

Some shops may still have new 3rd gen 4Funs in stock at deep discounts with the 4th gen having been released a couple months ago. If you can go new at a good price I'd do it, since it comes with the warranty. A local shop here as a 2012 3rd gen Fun for $765. Jackson changed from crosslink to linear plastic in 2012 if I remember right.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #6
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks for the helpful input everyone. This gives me a good place to start. Recently, my wife got a new job over in Montrose, so I'll be looking for a teaching job over that way come late winter/early spring.

Psyched about the park they're putting in there and being back in that part of the state. After not kayaking for the past 5 or 6 years, I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Once spring gets closer I'll troll around here and c-list for some used yakin' stuff.

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote