Old 06-11-2009   #21
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo yourself a favor....

....raleighB, get a palyboat...doesn't have to be a new one either...starting off in a creeker/riverrunner will/could allow bad habits to sitting flat, not learning how to use edges...playboats will seem squirly, but only the driver is squirly!!!!..understand what i mean...sure, river runners can be more stable but is that what you're looking for?....playboats can be stable if you learn edge control and incorporate fore/aft action(moving your head forwards and back)....a playboat will also let you feel the difference in water types(flat VS moving flatwater VS funnywater VS boils)then you can start playing right away which will force more rolling and increase confidence....get it??...other wise you'll be the guy in the eddy watchin' others throw down...squirting leads to the screw-up..which leads to other rad moves that increase roll practice....which leads to better, faster recoveries when river running....analogy-if you were gonna start race car driving, would you show up with a station wagon to get used to the track? or would you show up with a speedster and learn to use the throttle and understand handling characteristics?...get my drift?....others will certainly disagree...but i don't care..some like apples, some like oranges.....once you prove to your posse that you have a good roll, you can step it up in their big boat.....ask yourself this ?,(with the CAKE song, he's going the distance on your brain), "am i a STATION WAGON MAN or RACE CAR MAN?........milozadik

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #22
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
dont worry about pyrahanas being heavy, they are the lighter than all those boats, at least the newer models are always the lightest

T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote