Old 06-26-2016   #1
Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), California
Paddling Since: 1994
Best Whitewater Inflatable Kayak for up to class IV

Hi I am looking to purchase an IK that will be useable in up to Class IV whitewater. I am thinking to get a tandem (2 person) so I have enough space for gear on multi day river trips. Im planning on using it on the Selway in July.

Can folks please advise on what is the best choice currently?

mantraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #2
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I wouldn't limit your search to IK's, other crafts may work also. For example for your stated purpose a Storm would fit the bill very well. I think with tandem kayaks there isn't a whole lot of performance from any of them, compared to single IK's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #3
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
You can't go far wrong with the Tandem AIRE models, or the 2 Tributary models if you want to go the less expensive route. Have no experience with the NRS brands but have paddled Hysides and although stable they are pretty barge like.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #4
Spokane, Washington
I have had the NRS Maverik II for 6 years, and it has been a great boat. I have done a low water Middle Fork on it with great success. It actually surfs better than my NRS Bandit single. I would also recommend the Aires, as I have several friends with Lynx and Outfitter tandems. I would be hesitant to recommend the Tributary's right now. I recommended one to a friend and it suffered a two foot tear in the outer shell on a class two on its third use. Waiting to hear how the warranty will go. Best of luck in your choice.
cxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986

One thing to be certain of, most IKs have an available "performance" upgrade that includes thigh straps and foot pegs. Without these you are a tourist, not a paddler. With them, you can get into the meaty stuff rather nicely. For a tandem boat you want to place the mounting rings where they can be used when you are paddling front, back and from the center. Best of luck!

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #6
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
In my experience with IK's, the rowdier side of class III and class IV are about the reasonable and fun limits of IK's without a lot of modifications. While IK's "self bail" they often take on more water then they drain in really rowdy water, meaning about half way through something real fun you're in a bathtub and just along for the ride.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #7
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
I have paddled AIRE lynxes, the Force and the Force XL, and also the Trib. Strike over a number of years in upto cl 3+ over and over again. Never had a problem with the bailing though. I am currently paddling a Tomcat, and again no bailing issues. Just go for whichever one seems to handle the best in harder water. As one of the posters said thigh straps and a foot brace are a must.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #8
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
If you can find one.
I paddled one in WV a while ago and actually rolled it in the flat water.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote

class iv