Best Value Paddle? (ie Talk me out of a Werner) - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2016   #21

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Another solid vote for the Werner Powerhouse. I absolutely love my 197 straight shaft.....

That said, here is an option I am willing to bet most of you are unfamiliar with.

Z & J Sports out of China. Had a friend order their "Fancy" fiberglass/carbon in a 197 and it has served him well. We have made extensive comparisons to the Powerhouse and they are almost identical except the Fancy has slightly more surface area on the blades (very slight), and that the Fancy ships in multiple pieces and must be assembled and sealed.

WhiteWater Paddle - Fuyang Zijie Sports Oars Co., Ltd.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016   #22

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
OK, OP I'll talk ya out of a werner. I have had several issues with werner paddles of the years. I had this nice $300 player carbon about 15 years ago. Paid the extra $ for what I thought was the best on the market. One day it flew out of the back of my truck and the car behind couldn't move and ran over the paddle. It broke in 3 places. Can you believe that? Another time I was seal launching down its nice sweet 100 year slide of concrete and all it did was drag my blade with just my body weight and the blade wedged between two big rocks and broke my blade off. Also, I got all drunk and knocked my werner into the fire then passed out. when I woke up. It was burnt up. So ya I have had issues with werner products. I'd be careful. Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2016   #23

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
My Werner powerhouse is fire proof!
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016   #24

Fort Collins
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
OK, OP I'll talk ya out of a werner. I have had several issues with werner paddles of the years. I had this nice $300 player carbon about 15 years ago. Paid the extra $ for what I thought was the best on the market. One day it flew out of the back of my truck and the car behind couldn't move and ran over the paddle. It broke in 3 places. Can you believe that? Another time I was seal launching down its nice sweet 100 year slide of concrete and all it did was drag my blade with just my body weight and the blade wedged between two big rocks and broke my blade off. Also, I got all drunk and knocked my werner into the fire then passed out. when I woke up. It was burnt up. So ya I have had issues with werner products. I'd be careful. Good Luck.
Sounds to me like you would need a paddle made by Aire...if they made one.
Old 09-17-2016   #25

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
I use a AT Geronimo. Im pretty sure they addressed the durability issue a few years ago. I paddle 2-3 times a week. My blades show very little wear and tear. Ive used a powerhouse before felt almost identical to my geronimo. I think Warner and AT are the best options . IMO
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016   #26
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Werners and AT are budget paddles. River Styx cost a bit more but are worth it.

RivrStyx by Jim Snyder | Custom Wood Paddles
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016   #27
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
A straight shaft werner paddle, with any fiberglass blade shape, is the best deal on the market.

Werner or die.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #28

Northern, Virginia
You guys are no help.

I just bought a new Werner Powerhouse .
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #29

Wenatchee, Washington
Has anyone ever tried a Galasport paddle? They look like they are available in the USA.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #30

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I paddled a galasport paddle in New Zealand for a while. Very light and pretty stiff, though a little delicate; I broke mine rolling in shallow water. Mine also had an aluminum strip along the edge of the blade where the two pieces of carbon met. Seemed like a nice idea but the epoxy started to fail, allowing grit and water in between the pieces. Not sure if that's a standard feature or not.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote